Best way to drill out prop hole?

Reaction score
Anyone have a good procedure for holding the prop secure when drilling out the smaller hole on the tri-blade props to the Phantom size?? I tried it holding the prop by hand and that didnt work very well.

Best way I would have thought is if you no somebody with access to a lathe, failing that I vice maybe be used but holding centre could be tricky.

sent from a GS4 using tapacrap now Free

Typically prop reamers are used to enlarge an existing hole. They are available in both standard and metric sizes.

Ots said:
Typically prop reamers are used to enlarge an existing hole. They are available in both standard and metric sizes.

I agree easily the best way to enlarge a hole, I couldnt find a prop reamer in Australia but had to order some bits in the US so added a prop reamer with it. I tried drilling some holes but this was a bit of a fail the reamer worked great though.

The big question, IMO, is where do you find a broach that will ream the hole *and* leave the key indention.

Yeah - that's what I do. Still, I'd like to have a broach and would appreciate if anyone who found a source would post it.

No reamer found, so I DYI with a medium sized "closed" scissors, turning and pressing slowly until I got exact hole for motors shaft. :ugeek:
I worked with plastic propellers, then with graupners and finally with my tri-blades. Post-balance with Du-Bro balancer was a breeze.

Propellers2.jpg

PJA said:
Is this one of those prop reamers... Has an 8mm shaft size on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290951871168

Those are junk.
I bought one and it was blunt before I'd even finished reaming 1 APC prop. By the time it was finished, the chocolate cake I was eating while reaming was sharper.

A good vice and pillar drill setup or just do it by hand with scissors or a sharp drill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers