Best transmitter antenna position

Reaction score
The best tx antenna position if you dare! No black spot unless you just flying straight up. 3m special Velcro tape on the side 5 time stronger than normal Velcro. Flew in strong wind today no problem at all!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 2,154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 2,316
aadvanboven said:
Nice, but isn't the signal better with the antenna below ?

I think best on top. You got gimbo,compass and p2 antennas below. I Tried many different locations but this is the best. the tbs discovery also mount it on top.

what kind of range are you getting with the antenna pointing up like that? I got 2000meters with the antenna pointing down and to the left, with the antenna head sitting right next to the left rear leg, almost touching the ground. I could have gone further, but got scared and turned back.

If you are getting solid video further than 2000m, I might give your setup a try.

Did you compare GPS reception before and after? Likely that whole side the Phantom is going to have reduced satellite visibility. And when you yaw, satellites will disappear and re-appear much more often.

You're better off just going out the side. No blind spots there either.

Interesting. I've been experimenting with different locations below my P2 and have yet to find one that doesn't have video dropouts. So far all of them have dead spots in certain orientations with the P2 due to different components below the P2 getting in the way of the signal. I have found that the best cloverleaf antenna orientation is vertical either pointing up or pointing down. Horizontal placement causes drop outs because the top and bottom of these antenna's put out the weakest signal. Always best to have the sides of a cloverleaf transmitter antenna pointing at the receiver.

Also, best make sure there's no chance it can come lose or shift around. If it moves to the side just a little bit, it's a guaranteed crash as it will get caught up in the props.

ianwood said:
Also, best make sure there's no chance it can come lose or shift around. If it moves to the side just a little bit, it's a guaranteed crash as it will get caught up in the props.

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the picture.

I have mine mounted inside the shell coming out the bottom pointing down. The lead is in a slight S-bend and the cloverleaf sits at the same height as the landing gear a little ways behind the gimbal (stable on the ground for lift off). Been out to 2800m and can yaw around and video remains the same regardless of orientation, this is at about 60m height. I used to have it mounted out the side but found this works better, I also like the downward direction because I don't have any issues with my case.

This is my third time relocation of antenna. I had it mounted off right side compass side and pointing down before and I have done 5km with solid 360 video. The biggest advantage of mounting it up that I can keep my altitude as low as 15m at the distance of 1.5km! Normally I need to keep my altitude above 60m at long range.
For those of you worry it might get hit by props, I have test fly under quite extreme windy condition today and not a single problem. The key is get the best 3m Velcro tape not cheap thing. Mine stay up solid like a tree! Beware the cheap tape will melt and get lose because tx generates lots heat.

I can definitely see that working better at lower altitude, to be honest I haven't tried any 2000m out 15m high flights. Pointing down should work well still just maybe not when less than 5m at that distance, looks like something else to test :D

Do you think outside temperature plays a role? Here its -12C right now and the warmest I've flown in is about +8C , wondering if the distance I'm getting now will be reduced come summer...

2trickpony said:
Would it be possible to have some kind of combiner so you could have 1 antennas at each corner underneath the P2?
I wonder what Horizon are going to do here:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... combiners/

Once you have mounted pointing up there will be no point mounting it down. Two antennas will give you extra weight too. I really like the new mounting position that I can go really low to show off while I was miles away lol.

leekawey said:
2trickpony said:
Would it be possible to have some kind of combiner so you could have 1 antennas at each corner underneath the P2?
I wonder what Horizon are going to do here:
http://horizonfpvantennas.mybigcommerce ... combiners/

Once you have mounted pointing up there will be no point mounting it down. Two antennas will give you extra weight too. I really like the new mounting position that I can go really low to show off while I was miles away lol.

Yeah but the problem is I like flying high :D

Anyone used RP-SMA\SMA cable extenders to reposition the antennas?

It's possible install the vtx inside the body, use the cable to reroute the antenna to the top part of the body and drill a hole for this supposedly optimal position. No idea about db loss due to additional cables and connectors.

LeoS said:

It's possible install the vtx inside the body, use the cable to reroute the antenna to the top part of the body and drill a hole for this supposedly optimal position. No idea about db loss due to additional cables and connectors.

I think people keep their tx inside of phantom might suffer in summer time overheat or burn. I run 3 batteries and it does got really hot. My last cheap Velcro almost fell off when I mounted below.

Regards to gps signal. I didn't notice the different. The antenna is not in the middle above it.

leekawey said:
LeoS said:

I think people keep their tx inside of phantom might suffer in summer time overheat or burn. I run 3 batteries and it does got really hot. My last cheap Velcro almost fell off when I mounted below.

Regards to gps signal. I didn't notice the different. The antenna is not in the middle above it.

I agree, DO NOT use cheap velcro. The glue on the back of it will melt if you use the IRC600tx

leekawey said:
LeoS said:

I'm waiting for my FrSky temperature node to find out what's the temp like inside Phantom during normal flights.
I don't have any plans to put in my vTx yet, though. Still trying a few different models before settling on any particular one.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4