best tablet

Reaction score
wondering what is a good cheap tablet to use with the phantom vision 2 dont wanna spend a lot of money was looking at this one
Neutab i7 7" Android 4.4 Jelly Bean Tablet on ebay can get it for 30 some bucks is it good for this

Welcome to Phantom Pilots!
There is a discussion on tablets and phones to use but I can't find it. Only thing I can advise is be sure you can return it if it does not work. Some do and some don't.
I have also found out that "bad sellers" or online stores rig the phones to display a better operating system than they actually have. T-Mart is a good one for that scam.
I use a Hisense 7" for mine and it works great.

Keep in mind that even tho the vision app will more then likely install and work on that tablet if its got android 4.4 many tablets do not have real gps units in them and instead only have whats called AGPS which uses the network for its gps and not a real gps receiver and if so the ground station will not work right if you dont have phone reception on the tablet like if its only got wifi and no phone servis. Being you cant even be on a wifi connection when you are already connected to the phantoms wifi So it will not know were you are on the map in the ground station. But it will still know were the phantom is on the map. also the new dynamic home point thing might not work on a tablet that dont have real true gps being it wont really know were you are.

Tho other then that every thing else should work even on one that dont have a real gps receiver in it. .

Tho I just got a new acur tablet that has just wifi and also has a real gps unit in it and it works great but I had a hard time installing the app from google play. It keep saying it was not compatible with my devise and would not let me down load it. BUT it did let me down load it from my back up from another table on Google drive when it thought I was just restoring the app reinstalling it on the new tablet. That was pretty goffy for them to try and not let me install it cause it does work and works perfectly with the devise they tried saying it was not compatible with. Even tho the devise I had it on before that they let me install it and back it up it did not work fully and was not really compatible due to the other one only having the fake Assisted gps. so they sort of got that kind of bassackward

Interesting J.J, I don't use ground station or waypoints so never thought about the "fake" GPS. My tablet must have real because with WiFi turned off and it has no phone system, Google Maps can locate position within 5 feet in a short time.

Yup sounds like you must have real gps in your tablet.

I got a cheap "Double Power" 10" android tablet from Tiger Direct for about 85.00.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=6957

It works fine, downloaded the app, get good views from the Phantom Vision 2 machine. It seems to have the resolution, chip and version that works, plenty of IO to plug the card in after flight and view. I would buy this again. If I drop it or it quits, I have the service contract to fall back on. about 110.00 total invested.

I 3D printed a bracket for it and it sits on top of the remote nicely

I never usually buy an extended warrantee, but this time I did. Two years accidental damage included 22.00 more.

kengineer said:
I got a cheap "Double Power" 10" android tablet from Tiger Direct for about 85.00.
Nice looking tablet. And it works. Can't beat that!

I just got back from flying the Phantom Vision 2 and shooting video. I popped the card out of the camera, put in the Double Power tablet, plugged into the TV, used the furnished Bluetooth keyboard and watched the clips. It all works, It was really that easy. So easy it is almost scary, I am still intrigued by the 29 dollar 7" tablet, but I like the 10" screen and plugging it into the TV. I did need an adaptor from Walmart for 19.00, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought it from TIGERDIRECT.

I have designed mounts to snap the DOUBLE POWER onto the radio control and used my 3D printer to fabricate them. I can watch the 10" screen while flying and then again from the big screen TV after the flight.

20140427_093942.jpg

I bought the Nexus 7 2013 tablet specifically for my vision, it does everything i need it to do and more.
Although most any tablet running kitkat 4.4 should work. Some apps need to be "sideloaded" , plenty of instructions for that on the net.
One consideration might be to purchase a tablet with HD VIDEO out for use with cinemizer or Moviero goggles for a better FPV experience.
Make sure you turn off "auto-updates" so google and playstore dont wreck your configuration with unwanted app and OS updates.

J.James said:
Keep in mind that even tho the vision app will more then likely install and work on that tablet if its got android 4.4 many tablets do not have real gps units in them and instead only have whats called AGPS which uses the network for its gps and not a real gps receiver.

Glad I found your post I've been going nuts with a tablet I purchased

I purchased a Neutab N7 for $49 and although the DJI application is installed and running in FPV I cannot get the Ground Station Waypoint Maps to work.
I am able to fly it FPV with the tablet but when I go to use Ground Station Waypoints it shows the tutorial pointers for 2 seconds then quits so I cant use the maps at all.
I assume that's because of the fake GPS you mentioned.
I have installed Google Earth and Google Maps which do locate me by GPS but when I start the DJI application it bounces out of GPS.
Too bad....Im not out a bunch of money and thought from all the reviews I read this one would be OK but Ill have to go looking for a better REAL GPS screen.
Hope this comment helps others looking at the Neutab N7
Don't buy it if you plan to use Waypoints

even my good tablet was doing the thing with it closeing the app any time I tired to open the ground station or even if i tried to go to the settings part. It would open just long enought to flash the screen and then close the whole app. It turned out I had a setting in the phones settings that was telling it to kill any application if you tried to open any other. I forget what it was called right now. But it was in the android settings and under the developer/advanced options. called like kill tasks or some thing with the word kill in it. Once I found it again and turned that function off I had it working normal again. Even the tablet I had that the gps didnt work to good on would even let me open and still use the ground station Just it was not very accurate as far as were it thought I was at any time but it did always know were my p2v was being it gets the gps location info from the phantoms gps to know were to put the red air plane on the map right. Tho it didnt do a good job of knowing were the tablet and I was if not connected to the internet. It also some times would show the red air plane facing the wrong direction regardless of what way it was going or were it was moving to cause it also had a crappy compass sensor in the cheap tablet. to.

I purchased a Neutab N7 for $49 and although the DJI application is installed and running in FPV I cannot get the Ground Station Waypoint Maps to work.
I am able to fly it FPV with the tablet but when I go to use Ground Station Waypoints it shows the tutorial pointers for 2 seconds then quits so I cant use the maps at all.
I have installed Google Earth and Google Maps which do locate me by GPS but when I start the DJI application it bounces out of GPS.
Too bad....Im not out a bunch of money and thought from all the reviews I read this one would be OK but Ill have to go looking for a better REAL GPS screen.

I wish I had seen your post before I bought my N7 Pro. It runs KitKat 4.4 & I can't even install djiGo. Anyone found a workaround? I'm a total newb @ android, I assume I can somehow install 4.2, which dji tells me their software requires, but don't know how to do it. Ah well . .

Are you sure your tablet has gps? I actually bought an n7 on Amazon but canceled the purchase before the item shipped because it didn't seem to have gps. I got a g7 which works perfectly. It uses 5.0.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik