Best tablet for the $$$? Phantom 4.

Reaction score
Got a Phantom 4 for my birthday. Works great but my cell phone screen is just too small for me.

I was looking at a NeuTab 10.1 Quad Core Android 5.1 Lollipop OS ($92) on amazon.

Im open to any ideas. Cheaper the better.. ;-)

thanks.

If your are biased towards an android based tablet then I think the top two right now are the nexus 7 gen 2 and the Nvidia shield. I use a nexus 7 and love it. One think to keep in mind is making sure whatever you pick has the GPS option built in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

jokerone, tablets < $100 generally won't give you great performance. I have a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here -- if you want to see what most people are using.

If your are biased towards an android based tablet then I think the top two right now are the nexus 7 gen 2 and the Nvidia shield. I use a nexus 7 and love it. One think to keep in mind is making sure whatever you pick has the GPS option built in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app
thanks, I was trying to keep the price down. an iPad would be fine, but again we are talking $250. I can live with my LG phone I paid $95 for , but the screen size is too small for comfort.

jokerone, tablets < $100 generally won't give you great performance. I have a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here -- if you want to see what most people are using.

thanks, I appreciate it. Yes, $100 to $125 is my price range. Otherwise I'll probably stick with my cell phone, but hate the screen size for what I'm doing.

thanks.

I was able to pick up a pre-owned nexus 7 gen 2 for $120 shipped. For a tablet i only use with my drone, I myself didnt care about buying brand new.

Just make sure its a gen 2 some call it the 2013 model. Look up some comparison pictures just so you make sure to get the newer model. They look very different and are easy to tell apart once you know what you're looking for.

Just make sure its a gen 2 some call it the 2013 model. Look up some comparison pictures just so you make sure to get the newer model. They look very different and are easy to tell apart once you know what you're looking for.

ok, thanks.

Turns out my wife wants a Tablet too. So I'm getting a
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1.

Any last advice/objections are appreciated?

thanks.

Turns out my wife wants a Tablet too. So I'm getting a
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1.

Any last advice/objections are appreciated?

thanks.
I have a Samsung 10.1" (older Costco version) but it will not fit into the P4 controller. You need not go taller than 6.6" in width to barley fit the stock controller clamp, but the 10.1" Samsung is 6.9" tall and will not fit unless you buy the plastic clamp extender off Amazon for $11. That makes it fit, but on my 10.1" Samsung, the USB mini-port jack is on the bottom and dead-center so when it is placed into the controller in landscape mode, the USB cable connector is right where that small slot is in the bottom clamp of the controller. Really a bad design there as the slot is far too narrow for the plug. So with the cable added it cannot sit flat on the clamp even with the extender, and it can rock on the USB plug if you try it. It sort of works, but it's not that stable. You can slide it off to the side so the plug is off the clamp's side and not in the slot, but then the whole thing feels off center.

I bought a 9.7" screen (Apple iPad Air 2 + Cellular for the GPS part) and it barely fits into the controller clamps by a 1mm clearance and doesn't need the extender, and the cable exits the right side and not downward into the controller's clamp. Much better fit. The Apple also is far superior in that it breaks video up less, okay no breakups on mine at all, over the Samsung 10.1" and even their S6 Edge phone too. I suspect that is more to do with the DJI-Go Android app, or maybe the data stream over the Apple Lightning plug is faster than the USB-mini system on the Android.

Mack

I have a Samsung 10.1" (older Costco version) but it will not fit into the P4 controller. You need not go taller than 6.6" in width to barley fit the stock controller clamp, but the 10.1" Samsung is 6.9" tall and will not fit unless you buy the plastic clamp extender off Amazon for $11. That makes it fit, but on my 10.1" Samsung, the USB mini-port jack is on the bottom and dead-center so when it is placed into the controller in landscape mode, the USB cable connector is right where that small slot is in the bottom clamp of the controller. Really a bad design there as the slot is far too narrow for the plug. So with the cable added it cannot sit flat on the clamp even with the extender, and it can rock on the USB plug if you try it. It sort of works, but it's not that stable. You can slide it off to the side so the plug is off the clamp's side and not in the slot, but then the whole thing feels off center.

I bought a 9.7" screen (Apple iPad Air 2 + Cellular for the GPS part) and it barely fits into the controller clamps by a 1mm clearance and doesn't need the extender, and the cable exits the right side and not downward into the controller's clamp. Much better fit. The Apple also is far superior in that it breaks video up less, okay no breakups on mine at all, over the Samsung 10.1" and even their S6 Edge phone too. I suspect that is more to do with the DJI-Go Android app, or maybe the data stream over the Apple Lightning plug is faster than the USB-mini system on the Android.

Mack

thanks. this is what happens when you have to compromise with the spouse.. ;-)

I'll do some measurements before I purchase.

thanks. this is what happ
ens when you have to compromise with the spouse.. ;-)

I'll do some measurements before I purchase.

UPDATE :

I measured the holder and its just slightly more than 6 1/2 inches.

The Samsung10.1" Galaxy Tab A T580 16GB Tablet is
Dimensions (WxHxD) 6.1 x 10.0 x 0.3" / 154.9 x 254.0 x 7.6 mm

So it should fit. correct?

The stock holder can hold a device that's up to 6.75 inches wide.

Question: the Amazon Fire 7 and 8 tablets are quite attractive, cost-wise. Has anyone tried the DJI go app on one of these? Work OK?

I started with an iPad mini 2 no cellular, worked fine. I did upgrade to a larger screen iPad Air 2 with Cellular for the GPS part so I did not have to tether to my phone all the time to update maps etc and for more accuracy for the drones location. I am only engaged so I can still buy what I want lol. I have a iPhone 6 plus and never used it once as a screen but it would make a nice back up if I forgot to charge my pads.

iPad Air 2 with cellular here as well. I'm married, but I have hand. A man without hand is not a man. I've got so much hand I'm coming out of my gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: nickinva

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic