Best tablet for flying?

Reaction score
I don't want to spend more then 300 dollars. Are iPad mini 3s good for flying? What is the best tablet under 300?

I don't want to spend more then 300 dollars. Are iPad mini 3s good for flying? What is the best tablet under 300?

An iPad mini 2 is great if you want to save a couple dollars more. The 3 doesn't give you anything else you need for flying, but yes will also work fine.

Cellular capability allows you to view real time maps while flying; without cell you will need to cache maps beforehand, or tether to a cell capable device.

I just got my P4 and I am looking to kit it out with the best tablet as well. Very interested in any responses.

You'll get varying opinions, but for what mine is worth;

Opinions seem to indicate that DJI leans toward best compatibility with Apple products.

I find the Mini the perfect size; many seem to feel the full size iPads are too big, but I don't use a full size so I don't have an opinion specific to that, other than to say I'm pleased with the mini's size and bought it specifically for flying.

The mini 4 has the best processor of the minis, so if money is not an object, that's obviously the best of the series.

The 2 and 3 are virtually identical, with the features of the 3 (memory, fingerprint reader) being of no obvious benefit.

Cellular capability falls within your criteria of "best tablet". The cell capable devices provide real time mapping, as well as providing support for the phantom's GPS dependant features such as Follow Me and remote "RTH" location.

All that said, the short answer to your question "best tablet" is, in my opinion, iPad Mini 4 with WiFi and Cellular.

What is the best tablet under 300?
My current favorites are the Nvidia Shield K1 (for Android) and the iPad Mini 4 (for Apple). If you're not opposed to purchasing a used/refurbished device, that might be a way to save some cash.

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

My K1 on 6.0 and 7.0 has experienced lots of freezes and complete crashes. I enabled developer mode and usb debugging etc and it hasn't helped. Restarting the app was easy and I'd get video feed back to my goggles but the video feed would get very laggy. I just installed hdmi board from my P3P RC to P4P RC and I'll be testing that tomorrow with my note 4 that's still on 6.0. As some have stated I think at this point ios is running Go4 better than android and particularly worse on android 7.0. With the hdmi module you get video feed to goggles even without a tablet/phone connected to RC.

K1 has been flawless on 6.0, no lag or freeze here, heard 7.0 update is buggy dont update not needed, has HDMI, also records video to tablet, can charge from RC also by setting USB Config to Charging in Developer Options, all screens reflect just use Hoodman Hav1w/e. Lotsa reviews on k1.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl