Best short iOS Lightning to USB Connector?

Reaction score
Today I almost lost my Phantom while hovering @ 400 feet over Lake Robinson SC. I totally lost connection, control, video feed and telemetry and couldn't get it back. I hit the Return to Home button on the remote and fortunately it returned without issues. On further investigation I noticed by disconnecting and reconnecting the remote and iPhone 6 Plus it still wouldn't give me a connection. At one point it connected and when I moved the cable it disconnected. This cable is less than a month old. I switched with my long cable and it connected and stayed connected for another flight. My question is, which brand short lightning to USB cables have you guys used and please state reliability with the connection? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Today I almost lost my Phantom while hovering @ 400 feet over Lake Robinson SC. I totally lost connection, control, video feed and telemetry and couldn't get it back. I hit the Return to Home button on the remote and fortunately it returned without issues. On further investigation I noticed by disconnecting and reconnecting the remote and iPhone 6 Plus it still wouldn't give me a connection. At one point it connected and when I moved the cable it disconnected. This cable is less than a month old. I switched with my long cable and it connected and stayed connected for another flight. My question is, which brand short lightning to USB cables have you guys used and please state reliability with the connection? Thanks in advance

I think many of the issues folks have can be traced back to poor and intermittent connection of the usb cables.
even the receptacle on the RC seems wider/looser than most I use.

keep in mind you still have FULL RC control to fly even when usb connection is lost.

I have android so I just grabbed one from around one of the chargers at home that was about 18" and it works so I leave it.

good luck and have fun flying

Yeah Kirk I noticed I regained control or may have had it all along but noticed when it returned to home and was closer and not out over the lake.

I purchased this apple cable at target. Look for the cable that's 0.5m !

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Reactions: beamerbuilder1
I'm not sure why but I find that the cheap "WallyWorld" cables tend to flake out fairly easily. I carry at least 2 spares in my flight case not to mention I usually have "longer ones" in my vehicle for charging etc.

I'm trying to find the link to the one I use now that has held up for over a year and that includes a lot of use and abuse flying from the mountains to the beach and every where in between.

Basically it's a "Woven" type of cable. When I locate it I'll post back here.

im sure most know about this trick, but remember cables get the most damaged and frayed from the connector ends not really the middle, this helps with the rigidness of the cable and protect kinks

F741XC5H6WG6TSO.MEDIUM.jpg

Reactions: BigAl07
ok, after 3 or 4 medium priced Lightning cables, all about 1 meter or 39" and still giving me Green screen Breakup on Video feed.I ordered the 12" Red Anker from Ebay .As others said, 12" on an Ipad Mini is super tight, and cuts across the right Antenna.
I stumbled on this Heavy Duty 24" Metal Coated 2.1Amp Cable at our local Dollar store ($3.00) Tested over last 3 or 4 flights with absolutely NO Breakup in Video Feed.It is now my GO TO Cable, love the Perfect Lenth"""

Attachments

• 20180212_164111.jpg
    20180212_164111.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 352

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20