Best Practices for launching from a boat

Reaction score
This coming week I will be vacationing on a lake and will have a pontoon boat at my disposal.

Any best practices to share for launching from a boat, and RTH emergency procedures while over water?

Personally I wouldn't - but that isn't to say you should.

Cons:

1) Return to home will send you into the water if the boat isn't there anymore
2) If there are a number of boats around their equipment "may" have an effect on your signals and wifi
3) If you fly too low you don't just need to replace parts - you will need to start from scratch
4) Even calm water sometimes splashes
5) You may have to take off from the shore

Pros:

1) You may get some amazing shots
2) You will have video of some really fun times by the sounds of it
3) You will (if like me) get a little bit of adrenaline pumping from risky flights
4) You will have bought a product for a reason and be doing something fun with it
5) You get to fly a little 4 prop device that uses wireless technology and satellites to fly over water! Can't believe how cool it is to be alive with this sort of stuff. My grand dad would probably have a heart attack if he was still around and saw this fly into his back yard.

Hopefully this has given you a bit to consider, without trying to scare you out of having fun.

Right. I mean, I've decided to do it. I don't have a track record of losing it, I am mostly curious about how people are landing and taking off in crowded surroundings like this. Hand-held takeoffs?

myvrodrocks said:
Watched this, assuming it would be helpful.

Laughed anyway.

Thought to myself, I wonder if this is one of those idiots who writes "READ THE MANUAL" in response to every posts, or one of those idiots who has a flyaway that was his own fault but blames it on someone else.

Checked your history.

Turns out it's both.

Thanks for the "help".

Assuming all on board the boat ( and you) are ready to duck. Get a volunteer to hold the Phantom. Get it pre flighted, sat locked and FPV'd (ready to launch) just like you would on land, but holding it.

Stop your boat. Start motors, go full throttle, let go. Fly over to clear land. Toggle the left switch (S2) 8-10 times to reset home point.

Hand catch for landing.

Works fine in my experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers