best practice drone for flying through a large cage

Reaction score
Hi Pilots,

I am filming a project with my P2 with FPV but the final shot will involve me flying through a large cage thats sitting in a fountain. The widest opening of the cage are about 10ft wide and about 5 feet tall. However, the hard part is the shot:

1. Fly into the cage from about 50-70 feet (horizontal dist.) and 30 feet (height) away
2. Go through the cage
3. Fly out through another opening (which may be smaller)
4. And fly up/forward

all in one take

Flight path will look like a flatish parabola.

I am wondering which practice drone to get, just in case it gets damaged from impact.

So which is the best for practice?

1. Hubsan X4 H107C
2. Walkera Lady Bug
3. AR parrot, a bit out of my budget
4. Phantom FC40, have to spend my rainy day funds...

or something else?

I'd be wanting to put the Phantom inside to see how GPS and radio are affected.
If the cage mesh size has a Faraday effect on either it won't matter what practice you do.

I would just take the gimbal and TX off and fly with the P2. Much less to damage that way.

The cage would have to be a very fine mesh to block GPS and R/C - finer than 2mm for 2.4GHz.

I would start by practicing quite slowly and then increase speed as you get adept. Wind will be your big enemy, so pick a calm day!

noiseboy72 said:
The cage would have to be a very fine mesh to block GPS and R/C - finer than 2mm for 2.4GHz.

The heater element wires in a 737 cockpit windscren completely block GPS signals.
Not sure of their spacing but it's more than 2mm.
GPS signals are carried on 1227.60 MHz & 1575.42 MHz

GPS loss would not affect the ability to fly through the cage particularly. approx. 4-5mm mesh would block GPS, but there are other factors in an aircraft as well.

Loss of R/C would be much more serious.

noiseboy72 said:
I would just take the gimbal and TX off and fly with the P2. Much less to damage that way.

I would start by practicing quite slowly and then increase speed as you get adept. Wind will be your big enemy, so pick a calm day!

Thanks Noiseboy! But this cage is not exactly square. The openings are all different shapes and sizes. How will i have FPV if I take off the TX?

I would do this visually while learning it. Stand as close as you can and so that you can see your route - if possible with it being a fountain!

Once you have flown through a few times, then strap the gear back on and go again. It will look and feel very different flying FPV, but you will have the confidence it will fit and can concentrate on perfecting the shot.

I guess what I am trying to say is get the flying right first, then look at getting the shot right after.

why not a second hand parrot AR 2.
I used to fly with that and used a gameklip and PS3 controller to fly it, I don't agree with Geert on the hard to handle part.... mine flew perfect.
In someway more stable than the phantom. That was my experience anyway. i am sure you can pick one up cheap.
No use of practising with a device that is much smaller than the phantom.

personally i would just say: practise practise practise outside the box and just go for it.........

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1