Best P4P Backpack - Safe for Travel & Hiking

Reaction score
Hey guys, about to get a P4P as they finally came down in price as of today. So my question is what's the best backpack that you use and are happy to endorse as a must-have bag?

All I want is something that can store 3 batteries, the drone, ND's and iPad but have the ability to be carried through airports and take on small hikes.

Thanks,

Guys....

I'm on the same boat

This is the most compact backpack I've found:

PolarPro Dronetrekker

Most tend to be close to 50 cm high, the drone trekker is about 40 cm

The width and depth are all always the same.

Alternatively, you could use this backpack. It holds the original Styrofoam casing. Also small, but bulky. Doesn't collapse like a regular backpack would.

DJI Phantom 4 Backpack - Hardshell

Hi, i currently have a Manfrotto D1 myself and i am super happy with is as it meets the requirements you mentioned and it can also take my DSLR

Reactions: Traveler
Quite new to the P4P+ drone. UK resident.

I do a lot of research and found the Manfrotto D1 to be the best at this time. Not cheap but look around. UK at around £129.00.

Please note, older products will have P3 battery compartments x 3.

The one I have has two pouches for P4 batteries x 2. However, you can still use other pouches within the older back pack for storage of batteries.

Should have mentioned, it is advisable to have some form of motor protectors when storing the drone in this back pack.

Google this and you will find a product to suit. Mine cost £7.00.

The Think Tank Helipak is king of "the best" IMO, but it costs $200. Here's why:
1. Materials quality. Besides the 1680D ballistic nylon for the outside, the main compartment zipper is beefy, and easy to zip. This by itself is high on my list because that's what you use every time you access the inside. I have a ProCraft backpack too. Although the zipper is adequate, it's nothing like my Think Tank backpack.
2. Minimal amount of zippers. Many backpacks require you to unzip more zippers when you open the lid. This is a habit of the photography world, not ideal for the drone world. too much hassle IMO to have a zipper you don't need.
3. Size. It's the ideal size to carry lots of stuff, but small enough for convenience. It's FAA compliant for domestic flight carry on luggage in the overhead. It's smaller than my ProCraft, and I don't need the extra space the ProCraft offers, it's actually wasted space in the ProCraft.
4. Waist Belt. Some backpacks don't have a waistbelt, and those that do skimp on the quality and padding in the belt. TTH is very nice.
5. Lifetime warranty. Anything breaks or tears, send it in for a new one, or free repair.
6. The new V2 version of the TTH is 1.5lbs lighter than the original. They did this with lighter but tougher materials, and removing the second grab handle on the side. It's got only one grab handle on the top of the backpack, like all the others.
7. Besides all the craft stuff you want carry, the outside lid compartments can easily hold an iPad Air plus a Hi-Aerial hood. It will also carry a 15" laptop if you so choose, although I don't to keep the pack light.
8. They store the batteries in the bottom of the pack where they belong in the V2 (unlike V1). This help with weight distribution when carrying the pack over one shoulder, which I do all the time. If you have a backpack that's top heavy it can be awkward to carry the pack with one shoulder strap over one shoulder. When I'm carrying the pack less than 1000' I always use just one shoulder carrying style because it saves time putting it on and off, and it's just easier.
9. The cubbies inside are reconfigurable inside, somewhat. Compartments are held in place with Velcro, so those can be moved around if you have something larger to hold like a small DSLR camera, or something smaller like wind meter or Marco Polo hand tracker.
10. I carry 6 P4 batteries in my backpack, counting the one that I keep inside the craft during travel. If needed I could carry 4 more, one under each craft motor, but that would make the backpack pretty heavy.

I paid $275 for my TTH V1 about 18mos ago at the IDE show in LA. Out of 6 backpacks I've evaluated, and 3 others that I looked at during shows (CES, NAB, Interdrone), I still think my TTH bag functions the best for size, storage, protection, durability and convenience. I really like the second handle on V1, which V2 doesn't have, however I can live without it I guess. I like the Helipak design so much I'll be buying the V2 soon for my new P4P. I keep my P3P in the ProCraft, and my P4 in the TTH V1.

Last edited:
The polar pro backpack works for me its very good in all aspects
What i like about is that it is very comfortable to wear it also does not look like a drone back therefore draws less attention in public like airports etc.
The quality is top notch

Brought D1 backpack to Hong Kong and hiked for 3 hours on Dragons back hill overlooking Stanley bay.

Went through airport with ease and it fits the overhead compartment easily.

Love it!

+1 on the Manfrotto. Perfect size for what you want. That said I have a couple of other ThinkTank bags for photography and they are incredibly good.

After some thinking I've decided to get this backpack from Smartree:
Smatree SmaPac DP3000 Backpack
612Qj2GeatL._SL1000_.jpg

It's got great reviews and the price was just perfect. The Manfrotto D1 I didn't like because the props seemed way too close to the ground and if you dropped it the could break easily. I like the Smatree one because it utilizes the case we already get from DJi. Seemed to make more sense going this way. I'll review it once the drone comes in.

The Think Tank Helipak is king of "the best" IMO

I second this. I may not have taken it on a hiking journey just yet, but its a softpack - made of good materials, great for storing all item you want plus MUCH more, has a raincoat, fits in overhead compartment on airplane....ticks MANY of the boxes. I watched plenty of videos and also read reviews before commiting to the v1 Airport Helipak.

The V2 is a bit wider, so v1 is the best way to go as it will be cheaper and much better "fit" iun most airline carrier overheads.

RoOSTA

I haven't got a backpack yet, first bought the hard case (Case Club large case - it's awesomesauce btw) so thanks to all for the recommendations. I've got a giant list on an Amazon wish list.

I have a half dozen other Think Tank bags - if I were investing $$ in a backpack I'd do it in a Think Tank without thinking a second thought. They are incredibly well made and thought out bags.

That Smatree though looks like a pretty interesting option. Many of the bags that hold the styrofoam case only fit an iPad mini not a full sized iPad 9.7" so that's great. Hmmm. $65 is a lot less than the Think Tank and I'll use the hard case 80% of the time. But Think Tank is my god.

See, this is why I have dozens of camera bags! Each one has a slightly different ideal use case. :) Maybe I should change my username to bag_addict

There is never a "best" with something like this as different people have different needs and different priorities. Lots of people like the large Think Tank helipak bags as they will hold the drone and full DSLR kit with a camera and 3 or 4 lenses. I went with the Manfrotto D1 as I do want an all-in-one bag for everything. Some people want a bag to which they can attach a tripod and rate a bag lower if it lacks this provision. Some want a hard case with wheels and others a bare minimum shoulder bag like the APE Drone backpack. I am a fan of APE cases and bags which are very well made and I wish all bag and backpack manufacturers would follow their lead with a light colored interior fabric as it makes finding small items inside the bag much easier.

Best to read the reviews on Amazon and B&H and elsewhere and see if the reviewers' comments apply to you or not.

Reactions: DaRana
There is never a "best" with something like this as different people have different needs and different priorities. Lots of people like the large Think Tank helipak bags as they will hold the drone and full DSLR kit with a camera and 3 or 4 lenses. I went with the Manfrotto D1 as I do want an all-in-one bag for everything. Some people want a bag to which they can attach a tripod and rate a bag lower if it lacks this provision. Some want a hard case with wheels and others a bare minimum shoulder bag like the APE Drone backpack. I am a fan of APE cases and bags which are very well made and I wish all bag and backpack manufacturers would follow their lead with a light colored interior fabric as it makes finding small items inside the bag much easier.

Best to read the reviews on Amazon and B&H and elsewhere and see if the reviewers' comments apply to you or not.
I like your suggestion for light colored interiors, and I like the yellow in the APE case. It's brighter than my TTH (Think Tank Helipak) grey interior. However, APE would never meet my needs, which is simplicity, a virtue in a good designed backpack. When I fly I appreciate having one zipper in the lid for the iPad, and one zipper to access all of my other stuff in the main compartment. The quality of the main zipper and ease of operation is fundamental, and very important IMO.

When I fly I typically sit down somewhere on a bench or chair, sometimes I take a folding chair with me. The backpack lays on the ground right in front of me, easy to access and use. The TTH is designed to provide access from this sitting position very nice. No small pockets to unzip on the side, in the middle, or the back side. The TTH provide access to most everything from the main compartment. The TTH sitting on the ground in front of me provides a nice "workbench", so to speak, to remove motor caps, install props, take off gimbal lock, and insert SSD and battery if needed. This workbench scenario is quite handy IMHO, so the support to sit the drone down on the TTH is very convenient. If you haven't used the TTH, you should check it out before saying it's not the best. It really is, for Phantom pilots IMHO. All the downsides from other backpacks far outweigh any odd shortcoming of the TTH (such as tripod carrying).

Unless you want to "LOOK LIKE A PRO" for commercial reasons to convey a good 1st impression to a customer, I can think of no reason to use a hard case. IMO they are not needed for the protection (unless you're Casey Neistat) when compared to the TTH. Hard cases are too heavy, too big, less versatile, won't fit in most airline overheads, and they're expensive.

Oh wait, I just remembered, with my older P3 craft with screw on props, it's nice to store the craft in a hard case with props installed. It's faster to get up in the air. However, I still didn't use my MicroRaptor hard case with wheels very much. It's still like new, and I need to sell it.

Last edited:

Oh yes. That has always been a HUGE selling point on KATA bags for me. Sadly they don't have some of the other bags built to fit the needs I am looking for. Most the Think Tank stuff is at least light grey though.

But yeah, I'm a bag nerd, I have a half dozen "best" camera bags (plus many more "good" ones :D) - it all depends on what I need at that time!

Reactions: John Locke
Unless you want to "LOOK LIKE A PRO" for commercial reasons to convey a good 1st impression to a customer, I can think of no reason to use a hard case. IMO they are not needed for the protection (unless you're Casey Neistat) when compared to the TTH. Hard cases are too heavy, too big, less versatile, won't fit in most airline overheads, and they're expensive.

I don't disagree there are compromises, but I love my hard case and would say there are reasons more than just commercial value communication - Although that is a valid piece of it. I def want a backpack as well, but for me personally the hard case is a great solution for a few reasons.

While the backpacks provide plenty of protection they still require a level of cognizance about how you're treating it and what's inside. If I'm grabbing and jumping in the car, with my hard case I don't have to really spare a single brain cycle worrying about the equipment in the case. That doesn't mean I treat it like a baggage handler, but it does mean I don't need to baby it at all. One less thing on my mind is always a good thing for me personally. :)

Similarly, I store everything in the hard case and just have a section of table top dedicated to it. When I get home, just toss the case up on the table, and the multi-charging cables, etc, are all right there, and I can grab and go as needed. Being in the case it's fully safe and I can charge the remote and iPad in situ - batteries could in theory but they'd get too hot.

Personally, I went with the larger hard case vs smaller for the reason you mentioned - my p4p lives with its props on 90% of the time. I specifically chose the large one for this, knowing I'd get the good backpack for travel w/ props off. Or hiking, etc.

I usually fly similarly to how you described and love having the "table" to work on. Got a cheapo folding chair at a local discount shop for like $12 and makes a long flying session so much nicer. I'm happy to hear that the TTH works similarly as far as a table top. I drive a Subaru Outback, so I'll sometimes just open the back lift gate and just sit back there and have actually sat up on the roof a couple times, as well, in order to get those extra couple of feet for line of sight OR to get myself out of field of ticks. :)

All that said, yep, there are times I wish I had the backpack now! For example, the day I flew from atop a local hill... kind of forgetting that it was quite as huge as it was ... a solid .4 mile walk up the top through grass with TWO ~40lb hardcases was one heck of a workout. On the plus side, I didn't have to go to the gym that day. :)

I usually fly similarly to how you described and love having the "table" to work on. Got a cheapo folding chair at a local discount shop for like $12 and makes a long flying session so much nicer. I'm happy to hear that the TTH works similarly as far as a table top. I drive a Subaru Outback, so I'll sometimes just open the back lift gate and just sit back there and have actually sat up on the roof a couple times, as well, in order to get those extra couple of feet for line of sight OR to get myself out of field of ticks. :)
I love the Subaru 2.5L motor, incredible engineering into that engine. Someday I'll have an Outback, guaranteed.

Below is my 2.5L 400HP turbo Subaru Funco sandrail that I built in 2002. Complete with massive intercooler, running 15lbs of boost, supported by a closed deck block. At only 1900lbs, this car ripped thought the dunes, a total rush to drive. I sold it about 4yrs ago. I miss my baby. :(
upload_2017-7-11_15-30-36.png

The Microraptor hard case I have is heavy too, and rugged, with wheels. I stopped using it pretty quick because I perceived it would beat up my Lexus back seat, which is where I prefer to haul my craft to keep the craft from getting too hot in the trunk. After banging my car door jams a couple times and seeing marks on my pearl white paint, I figured after years of this kind to accidental treatment my car would get too much wear. So I bought the TTH backpack. Problem solved.

I love the Subaru 2.5L motor, incredible engineering into that engine. Someday I'll have an Outback, guaranteed.

Below is my 2.5L 400HP turbo Subaru Funco sandrail that I built in 2002. Complete with massive intercooler, running 15lbs of boost, supported by a closed deck block. At only 1900lbs, this car ripped thought the dunes, a total rush to drive. I sold it about 4yrs ago. I miss my baby. :(
View attachment 85270

The Microraptor hard case I have is heavy too, and rugged, with wheels. I stopped using it pretty quick because I perceived it would beat up my Lexus back seat, which is where I prefer to haul my craft to keep the craft from getting too hot in the trunk. After banging my car door jams a couple times and seeing marks on my pearl white paint, I figured after years of this kind to accidental treatment my car would get too much wear. So I bought the TTH backpack. Problem solved.

Oh man - that looks like a freakin blast! And what a fun subject it would be for video :)

Yeah I love my Outback. Second suby and I don't anticipate getting anything different in the near future! This one is a 2008 and going strong. I always enjoy the reaction of people who don't really know what Subaru's are capable of - a buddy of mine was poopooing a few years back bc of clearance and that's why he got pickups etc ... until we checked and the Outback had more clearance. :)

It's funny - your description of taking your hard case in.out of the Lexus immediately made me cringe and want a backpack! :) Makes total sense, along with not wanting it in the trunk. I'll definitely be getting a pack - just need to decide if I want to invest in what I know is what I want (TTH) or cheap out on one for now that holds the styrofoam case for 1/4 of the cost. I know myself well enough to know that I'll still want the TTH in the future tho.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1