Best Overall Non-editing Video Settings

Reaction score
I have tried to find a concise discussion of the best overall video settings for the P4P bird and what advantages or disadvantages are associated with those "overall" settings, but have not found anything that really answers my question. I do not plan on conducting any post-video editing. My primary objective is to shoot the best resolution videos of coastal wetlands. Tone of videos and other settings are secondary considerations.

Obviously, you should stay with 4k for the best resolution. But it will make your file sizes much larger, and sharing 4k may be a problem. Not everyone has the ability (or desire) to view the 4k files. It will "future-proof" you, for while, if you use the 4k settings.
On the other hand, if you decide to capture your video in 1080P, you can bump the frame rate up to 60 FPS, and do a better job capturing movement.
If you are asking about color-settings, sharpness and the like, that's going to depend solely on your tastes.
There are tons of videos on YouTube with advice on the P4P Camera settings. This guy is pretty knowledgeable:
BillNicholsTV

Good luck!

The framerate of a video has nothing to do with "capturing movement" I think you meant the shutter speed. Higher frame rates let you playback at slower speeds without stuttering. But the OP does not want to do any video editing so shooting at 60FPS would make no sense at all, it would just result in larger file sizes and the need to downsample in post. As to the OP's original question, just leave everything in Auto for exposure, focus, auto WB, shutter speed, and ISO, maybe use the "vivid" color profile if saturation fits your taste, and use the H.264 codec, 1080P at 30FPS.

Straight out of the camera, unless you have picked a flat profile, the video from the P4 is pretty good just like with any modern camera. Unless I am working for a paid client or shooting a high end gig like a TV commercial, I leave everything in auto. The only difference is that I pick a flat profile so that I can color grade in post. If it is an HDR scene I may do some AE locking but that's it. The simpler your settings, the less you have to fiddle with them when the drone is in the air.

Personally I do not agree that there are any "overall" settings that work best for any scene; but "Auto" everything comes close because it lets the camera's algorithms do the work for you for almost any scene and it's rarely wrong; despite what pixel peepers may say.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl