Best lens cap/gimbal lock I have found

Reaction score
Have seen a few threads on lens caps/gimbal locks so thought I'd weigh in....

After much searching around I bought this a couple of weeks ago (it had just come out) - just wanted to share as I think the product is great. I lug my P3 around in a backpack all the time....and this has done the job nicely.

I hated the clear plastic gimbal lock that came with the P3 - far too fiddly to use in the field (and obviously doesnt offer any protection for the lens). I saw a bunch of 'hard' 3D printed options online but wasn't convinced all that tight snapping to my camera/gimbals/frame was going to be good for them. This one is made in a flexible material and fits snuggly - and is really quick to fit/remove. Yeah it's a bit expensive but I guess good design/quality usually is! Seller was good too - answered my queries and shipped promptly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161715349212?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Reactions: Jsmity
I have just received the very same one shown in your video link and can vouch for the quality / fit. The stock semi-transparent lock that comes with the P3 was not my favourite part of the kit as it was easy to forget to remove it, and as you say, fiddly at the best of times.

Now with this great green thing there will be no forgetting!

Nick

I'm with the both of you, recieved mine on the weekend, well thought out design and good quality product

Scifictus - you really love that lens cap - you've posted about it in almost every message!

And I notice they are local to you.

Your not by any chance the seller of this item?

Anyway whether you are or not it does look a good idea and I'm going to buy one myself. The current P3 gimbal protector is a devil to remove and obviously doesn't protect the lens.

The green colour is a good idea to prevent me forgetting to remove it.

Now I just need something to remind me not to forget to put the SD card in!

I have one also but i still use the white locking tab that fits in the back as this stops the pressure on the dampers when upright in my backpack.
I did email them and suggested thay print similar type as dji for the back , but they said it would be cheaper to buy new dampers. ..........not my point really but thats up to them.

Thanks for posting this. I ordered one. A little pricey, but it looks like exactly what I have been looking for.

Sorry I don't mean to 'gush' - just believe in sharing a 'good find' :). I live in the UK - as does the supplier.

Can you buy replacement dampers yet? Or are you stuck with the spares you get in the box? I havent owned any previous Phantoms - are they same as used on the P2+?

Scifictus - you really love that lens cap - you've posted about it in almost every message!

And I notice they are local to you.

Your not by any chance the seller of this item?

Anyway whether you are or not it does look a good idea and I'm going to buy one myself. The current P3 gimbal protector is a devil to remove and obviously doesn't protect the lens.

The green colour is a good idea to prevent me forgetting to remove it.

Now I just need something to remind me not to forget to put the SD card in!

PS yes I have done this twice now! My other particular favourite is going somewhere specifically to fly/film on a great day....getting a fantastic sequence of shots....then coming home to look at the footage...only to watch 3 seconds of my own feet. Guess I pressed the record button twice then! Grrr.

Got mine today and given the color it is we all will never forget to remove it
Well thought out item start to finish

Do they sell one like this in the US? The ones on Ebay are similar but I like this particular one.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj