Best GOPRO H3 settings for PHANTOM?

Reaction score
Hey guys, getting my Phantom delivered today. Looking forward to seeing what it can do. From what I can tell the best settings for Arial shooting to reduce jello effect are 720 60fps . Any other tips? Also, does the GOPRO APP act like a monitor for the unit as long as thee is WIFI? I seemed to remember reading something about how the WIFI can interfere with the radio signal...is there any truth to this?

Reactions: MC13
You'll want to stay away from Wi-Fi on the GoPro while in flight. While it can be useful to aim your camera, you'll want to turn it off before flight. The problem is that Wi-Fi operates on 2.4Ghz band, which is the same band that the Controller unit uses.

As far as Jello is concerned, the 60fps should help. But really, you'll want to stop the jello at the source - vibrations. This can mean balancing props, or putting some type of vibration absorbing device on the camera mount.

Also, if you've noticed, there is a 3 second lag from the GoPro to your iPad or iPhone, so it's not realistic to use that for in-flight FPV. It would be great to use as a second monitor to see what is going on or for your friends to watch the action, but I wouldn't risk the interference.

If anyone else more qualified can shine some light on this subject, go for it.

Check out rudeboy's excellent FPV Phantom tutorial in the videos section.

I should have read this forum before heading out yesterday. I guess I got lucky. Did a few runs with the GoPro WiFi running with no ill effects.

It would really only be useful for a friend to monitor while you fly; yes, the delay is about 4 seconds. But it is quite helpful with setting up framing and turning on and off video.

My GoPro3 Black comes tomorrow. I cannot afford it but I just had to upgrade. I just hope I can use some of the tons of accessories from my GoPro 2, esp. batteries.

Did a test flight today, got my controls down. Recorded on a first gen GOPRO and rolling shutter was CRAZY! Had my HERO3 delivered today and will try that, Since it shoots in 120fps...think that would be better than 60fps? Also, I got some moon gel dampening pads....gonna try putting it under the gopro mount to see if it dampens anything. I saw a video that said it helped.
Any other suggestions?

Also, where can I buy xtra props?

Hi there

I have an DJI PHANTOM 1 with the Gimbal DJI Zenmuse H3-2D and with the goprohero3 black edition monted.
I control and see the images of the gopro on my Smartphone android but the problem is that at the maximum distance on 10 meters, can anyone please tell how can i extend the range of the Wifi?
It is possible to put some wifi repeater together with the smartphone do extend the range of the wifi?

Gasff said:
Hi there

I have an DJI PHANTOM 1 with the Gimbal DJI Zenmuse H3-2D and with the goprohero3 black edition monted.
I control and see the images of the gopro on my Smartphone android but the problem is that at the maximum distance on 10 meters, can anyone please tell how can i extend the range of the Wifi?
It is possible to put some wifi repeater together with the smartphone do extend the range of the wifi?

As advised above, DO NOT use the gopro wifi while flying, it's range is unusable (as you have stated) and the interference it could cause with the phantom isn't worth it.

I shoot 720p at 60FPS and a photo every 5 seconds. You'll be amazed with the quality and rare pics you will capture.

Video isn't always available to share like a photo might be.

Never use the GoPro wifi for FPV viewing on your smart phone, not unless you have a Phantom Vision.

The Zenmuse has fairly good vibration absorption, making shooting at 60fps unnecessary (unless you desire to slow down your footage in post).

I prefer to shoot at 1080/30 +Stills when I'm doing mixed shooting, or if it's just straight video, I'll do 2.7k with Protune on for video.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik