Best functional hood for ipad mini 2

Reaction score
Much has been said about some hoods making it a pain to put our finger inside the hood to reach the phone/tablet to change settings.

Does anyone know of a good ipad mini 2 hood/ sunshade that is good in fighting the sun as well as ease of changing settings with your hands?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: jsposito
Much has been said about some hoods making it a pain to put our finger inside the hood to reach the phone/tablet to change settings.

Does anyone know of a good ipad mini 2 hood/ sunshade that is good in fighting the sun as well as ease of changing settings with your hands?

Thanks
The one I like is made by Hi-Aerial. It folds fairly flat to fit into my backpack easy. It comes in two heights, and has elastic slotted side access to easily touch the screen, instead of putting your hand in from the top view opening. Even though I bought both parts (Base and Boost) to make the hood very tall, I rarely use the top extension "Boost section" because it's not needed most of the time. If I were to do it over I wouldn't buy the top Boost extension, you really only need the standard Base section. They run about $60 for an iPadMini, but I bought one for my iPad Air2, on special over Christmas for $50 for both sections! So they do have specials every once in a while.

FYI, I bought a Hoodman originally and sent it back. It was too bulky and flopped around too much, not rigid enough. The Hi-aerial is a little heavier than a Hoodman (I think due to the internal magnets), and the Boost extension makes the HiAerial somewhat top heavy, which is another reason I don't use the extension. I have not had any problem from the magnets in the hood interfering with the craft, and I will often hand catch, which puts the RC within about 4' of the craft. The magnets help the hood snap together quickly, and to retain it's shape. It's a pretty clever design.

upload_2017-3-19_9-11-20.png

Last edited:
Check out the master series shades from aerial drone accessories. I just put up a video of use with one on my nexus 7 but they most definitely have a shade for your device
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The one I like is made by Hi-Aerial. It folds fairly flat to fit into my backpack easy. It comes in two heights, and has elastic slotted side access to easily touch the screen, instead of putting your hand in from the top view opening. Even though I bought both parts (Base and Boost) to make the hood very tall, I rarely use the top extension "Boost section" because it's not needed most of the time. If I were to do it over I wouldn't buy the top Boost extension, you really only need the standard Base section. They run about $60 for an iPadMini, but I bought one for my iPad Air2, on special over Christmas for $50 for both sections! So they do have specials every once in a while.

FYI, I bought a Hoodman originally and sent it back. It was too bulky and flopped around too much, not rigid enough. The Hi-aerial is a little heavier than a Hoodman (I think due to the internal magnets), and the Boost extension makes the HiAerial somewhat top heavy, which is another reason I don't use the extension. I have not had any problem from the magnets in the hood interfering with the craft, and I will often hand catch, which puts the RC within about 4' of the craft. The magnets help the hood snap together quickly, and to retain it's shape. It's a pretty clever design.

Thanks, does it have side access slots for your hand to touch screen?

Thanks, does it have side access slots for your hand to touch screen?

The shade I purchased has an open bottom which allows super simple access to touch anywhere on the screen without restriction. The iPad mastershade or the ultrashade would work best if that's the device you're using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic