Best FPV LCD Screen

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for the best LCD FPV screen for flying the Phantom 2. I used to have the Fat Shark Predator V2 goggles which were linked to a LCD screen, and the reception was great, but the LCD screen needed a LiPo battery and had low brightness.
I then migrated to the Boscom RX-LCD5802 and the Boscom Transmitter, which has excellent brightness and a built-in battery, but I have been having issues with the reception compared to the Fat Shark goggles. I have been using the Far Shark antennas like I used with the goggles, but notice static almost constantly and the reception drops if an object is obstructing the line of site of the antennas. However, with the Fatskark, this never used to happen.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I have tried playing with the channels on the Boscom LCD with no luck of improved reception.

Fat Shark Goggles- http://www.fatshark.com/product/1719.html

Boscom RC-LCD5802- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2062537

Boscom TX58-800- http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-FPV-Syst ... 19511.html

Fatshark Antennas- http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231145110334?lpid=82

If you are interested in getting rid of any of the equipment listed let me know
I cant afford to buy it new at the moment and looking for used equipment

This has been discussed many, many times before here and on rcforums.com, but the setup you have will work fine (I personally use it) if you have the right antennas and set them up correctly. In FPV, the antennas are WAAAAY more important than the monitor. Without knowing too much about your gear, here's some general tips:

• Make sure your antennas have the correct connectors or get appropriate adapters. The 8502 has female SMA connectors so your antennas must have MALE SMA connectors on the other end (there should be a "pin" somewhere in the mix). Often times people unknowingly go female-to-female and end up with poor reception. I had to purchase RP-SMA to SMA adapters when I bought this monitor to get my antennas to work.
  • How do you have the 8502 mounted? Make sure it is not too close to your radio transmitter. The receivers on the 8502 are VERY sensitive and can pick-up 2.4 GHz interference from the radio, especially if you're using linearly polarized antennas ("whip" or the stock antennas). For a simple test, just try turning it on and holding it a few feet away from your transmitter while flying. If that fixes your problem then you should consider mounting it on a tripod instead of near your transmitter, or get a monitor mount that's longer and keeps it a few more inches away from that transmitter antenna.
  • What antennas are you using? You mention using the antenna(s) from your Fatshark setup, so do you have one cloverleaf/mushroom and one stock/whip antenna? The optimal setup is to have one cloverleaf and one patch or helical antenna. The cloverleaf will give you good reception when you're close or if you go behind yourself, and the patch will give you good reception when you move further away.
  • Try switching your video transmitter to a different channel. A lot of people have success with channels 1, 4 & 8. But I don't know which transmitter you're using so I can't offer much advice there.

Maybe give me a little more detail about your setup (especially what video transmitter and which antennas you're using) and I can help you troubleshoot. The 5802 really is a good monitor, its waaay brighter than the black pearl. I've heard of people getting a range of several kilometers with the 5802 when they have the correct antenna setup. Antennas are the key here, not the monitor.

rufusonfire-
Thanks for all the insight! I am using the Boscom TX58-800 as my transmitter and two Fat Shark 5.8GHz FPV SpiroNet Antenna (links in first post). I tried moving the 5802 further away from my transmitter and that helped a lot!
I will need to get a longer mount (any suggestions?)
The static was not there like it was before, but I still have lines horizontally cascading, any idea what is causing that?

Also, with the antennas, I have 1 Fat Shark on the 5802 and 1 on the copter. Would putting one of each kind on the 5802 and leaving the Fat Shark on the copter be best to handle all types of situations? I get snow when the copter is not facing me or gets to far away.

Also do brands of antennas or anything else stick out when looking?

Thanks!

Awesome, glad it made a difference. I'm sure we'll get it working even better for you before this is over.

Generally, a cloverleaf/patch (or helical) antenna combo gives the best results. That's a cloverleaf on the transmitter with one cloverleaf and one patch antenna on the receiver. Here's the antennas I use:

For my cloverleaf antennas I have this set (you've got the IRC/Fatshark set which is fine, so you can ignore this. But! Make sure that the one going to your receiver is SMA male and NOT female like previously mentioned because that might be why you're not getting a good signal. Remember, there needs to be a pin on the antenna that pokes into the hole on the receiver)
For my patch antenna I have this 14dbi one
Since the 5802 has SMA inputs, I needed to get a couple SMA male to RP-SMA female adapters

I have the cloverleaf on the "A" input of the 5802 and the patch on the "B" input, although that doesn't really matter.

Ah, didn't catch the link to your transmitter in the first post. I'm not too sure about that one, it says it's Boscam on Banggood but I don't see that model listed on the Boscam site. I've got the 400mw TS-353 set to channel 4 and it works like a champ. Your weak link may be your transmitter here, it might be the next thing you should look into swapping-out. Sucks that it's $80 on Banggood, maybe someone else lurking here has that transmitter and can give some insight on which channel(s) to try. If not, I'd say just start trying them all until you get one that has a good picture, which will probably be somewhere around the middle.

And as far as antenna brands go, the ImmersionRC ones are good (including the cloverleaf set you've already got), for patch antennas that cheap one I have works fine but if you'd like to get a helical one I hear that Circular Wireless are the best.

Also, I know that the 5802 can be mounted on a camera tripod, but I also hear that some people have luck reducing the static by getting a really long monitor mount on their transmitter. And you're not using a Zenmuse 3D gimbal are you? I've got one and while I personally don't see those lines you mention, I've read that it sometimes happens and is caused by the gimbal.

I guess I should also send you this link, it's literally page after page of REALLY helpful information regarding the 5802 (but it links to another forum which I don't know is allowed or not).

Try that stuff out, consider getting a patch or helical antenna and MAYBE getting a different transmitter (which is way cheaper than the monitor anyhow) and you should be good to go.

Simply moving the screen further helped a lot, I got an extension for my mount.

I am waiting on the Patch Antenna, and noticed that when I fly far right now, sometimes the screen fades really bright, almost like its about to fade to white and turn off for a second. Would that be something the Patch Antenna would solve also?

Maybe its just the screen, but I am getting soft lines horizontally still, like an overlay on the screen. Its not super harsh, but noticeable. Any idea on that?

Thanks!

Yup, adding a patch should clear those long-distance cutouts.

And for the faint horizontal lines, you don't have the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal by chance do you? It's a known "bug" with the gimbal, or specifically, the little cable that plugs into the GoPro. If you search the forum someone recently posted a fix where they covered the charging pin of the cable with a piece of plastic before inserting it into the GoPro. The horizontal lines disappeared, at the expense of losing charging while flying (IMO isn't a big deal anyhow since the GoPro's battery lasts waaaaay longer than the Phantom).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31