Best current Platform mount or Gimbal setup on a budget?

Reaction score
I'd really like to have the Zenmuse gimbal, but I can't afford, nor justify the near $400 price tag (nearly two-thirds of the complete P2 itself) for one. I've heard about the Tarot and Walkera, but those apparently require some modifications and don't directly connect to the P2? Is there something even better out now I haven't heard of?

Easiest setup is the Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal that runs for $959. I say it's easy because it's all plug-and-play without soldering wires. If you're into FPV, I would go with the Vision+ because it's all built in or add your own FPV stuff if you want the H3-3D route.

I would try saving up a little more and scout out classifieds (or eBay, Craigslist, etc) for used ones that might fit your budget. ;)

I heard the Vision+ is crap as many users report that the gimble easily snaps off and that the camera is as fragile as well. When you run into problems DJI will NOT send you a replacement. Sorry I will stick with GoPro3+ that has accidental damage coverage, plus my own custom FPV setup (not proprietary DJI FPV junk ).

maximusa said:
I'd really like to have the Zenmuse gimbal, but I can't afford, nor justify the near $400 price tag (nearly two-thirds of the complete P2 itself) for one. I've heard about the Tarot and Walkera, but those apparently require some modifications and don't directly connect to the P2? Is there something even better out now I haven't heard of?

You might look into the Feiyu gimbals. They're pretty much plug & play for typical Phantom and can be had for $200 for 2 axis.

Check out a Tarot T-2D gimbal, I use one and its great and much cheaper than Zenmuse.

Mounting plate for P2: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131453417883
10mm landing gear spacer risers: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131468861055

Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 12.07.14.png Screen Shot 2015-04-01 at 11.39.33.png

Last edited:
Take a look at the DYS 3 Axis gimbal.. very cheap and fully configurable... out of the box it runs with a GoPro, but can be configured for a mobius action cam as well. It's much more difficult to setup than a plug and play item, so I guess that's what you are paying for.

Does 360 degree rotation and can be mounted backwards and upside down!!

Personally, I'd hate to put an additional couple of hundred on the quad and crash it!
I'm going to get a DYS 3 Axis with a mobius HD cam... much lighter and less on the wallet when it crashes.

Here's the DYS 3 and mobius in action - not my video and as you can see his calibration needs work.

Last edited:
I heard the Vision+ is crap as many users report that the gimble easily snaps off and that the camera is as fragile as well. When you run into problems DJI will NOT send you a replacement. Sorry I will stick with GoPro3+ that has accidental damage coverage, plus my own custom FPV setup (not proprietary DJI FPV junk ).

+1

IMHO, the cheapest FPV setup would be the vision plus with the H33D mod. Buy a Vision Plus and sell the camera as new immediately. You'll get about $600-700 for it. Use that money and buy a $10 15cm DJI zenmuse cable and purchase a zenmuse H33D. Just redirect 1 cable and voila, you can now use the DJI App with 2 way communications minus the camera setting/control. You can have your cake and eat it. And guess what.. the camera (gopro) can be unmounted and used for other purposes.

Here is further reading..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2213815

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav