Best Computer for Videos

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new computer and am unsure of what components are needed for video and editing. I've talked to a couple salesmen at Best Buy and get conflicting advice. I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black on my Phantom and don't expect to be recording any higher than 1080p. Most videos would be 5 - 10 minutes and I don't anticipate doing hundreds of them.

The new computer will most likely be Windows 8 but I'd appreciate some advice on the following:
Processor: It was suggested that I'd need an i5 or better chip
Memory: 8GB seems rather common on higher end computers, however it was suggested that I have 12GB or better for HD video
Hard Drive: Is 1T sufficient, or would I eventually need 2T?
Graphics Card: One salesman said that the newer integrated graphics cards are fine for 1080p. Another said I'd need a dedicated
card for best video.

I'm willing to get a bit more capacity than I think I need at the moment, however I don't want to spend a lot more than necessary. I'd appreciate any advice from those knowledgeable.

Thanks,
Joe

AMD FX 8core black edition processor at 5ghz, or even 4ghz.
A decent compatible mother board populated with a minimum of 16gb, min of a 750watt power supply.
If the board has onboard video, it's fine for editing video. You don't need an additional board, that's just silly.
Get a 1gb boot drive, and use two drives for your work. 3tb each. One to store your raw on, the other to save the edited video on. Use an external usb3.0 drive to make a backup of your stuff. (this can be a nice big 4tb raid system, two, lots of storage, or go for a big NAS drive)
WIndows 8.1
Wires mouse, wired keyboard. (you don't want your input devices to conk out on you. )

That's it. You can get all the stuff from Newegg, inexpensive, and it's easy to build.

As for a monitor, I'd use two LG 32 inch monitors, one for preview and one for workspace.

Should run you around $1500 without monitors. (based on Canadian prices, US prices are way cheaper)

I'd get the 2Tb, although you will soon start to make a dent even in that if saving most of your clips and in any case it's sensible to have backups on an external drive (or two - good idea above to keep edited stuff entirely separate)
Rendering is the killer for taking a long time.

My desktop PC has 16GB of RAM but can take up to an hour to render ten minutes of P2V footage in adobe premiere.
Looking at task manager shows the processor is limiting it more than RAM, I think 8GB would be enough but no less.
It's an i5 running at 3.8ghz so no slouch, though I mainly wanted to be able to deal with big image files in photoshop originally.

Having said that you can set it off doing things and be busy elsewhere e.g. online or just leave it and cut grass or something ;)
It's annoying if you render a longish video then spot a problem and have to wait again though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1