Best choice of Tablet for P4p

Reaction score
need an urgent help ... I fly p4p.. Am considering buying an iPad air 1 (cellular and WiFi) or air 2 (only Bluetooth tethering) .... This is due to financial constrain ... Pls which is more advisable

The Air 2 has the A8 CPU, that's what I'd recommend. The Air 1 has the A7 CPU that tends to overheats easier in temps above 90F. I use the Air2 with Cellular, works great. You'll just have to link to your phone's hotspot to download maps in the field, or download at home if you know where you're going to fly. You may want to consider iPad Mini4 32GB with cellular. To me that's a better choice than Air2 w/o cellular, but that just me. Sure, the bigger display is nice n the iPad Air, but I deem the cellular nicer to have than the extra display area.

Reactions: Johnlekan
As an old man that doesn't have or want a cell phone, can you help me by explaining why you prefer an iPad Mini 4 32GB with Cellular? I have an iPad Mini 4 16GB and it's a fantastic device for any of my DJI Quads.

Thanks for the explanation if you don't mind.

Bud

The Air 2 has the A8 CPU, that's what I'd recommend. The Air 1 has the A7 CPU that tends to overheats easier in temps above 90F. I use the Air2 with Cellular, works great. You'll just have to link to your phone's hotspot to download maps in the field, or download at home if you know where you're going to fly. You may want to consider iPad Mini4 32GB with cellular. To me that's a better choice than Air2 w/o cellular, but that just me. Sure, the bigger display is nice n the iPad Air, but I deem the cellular nicer to have than the extra display area.

As an old man that doesn't have or want a cell phone, can you help me by explaining why you prefer an iPad Mini 4 32GB with Cellular? I have an iPad Mini 4 16GB and it's a fantastic device for any of my DJI Quads.

Thanks for the explanation if you don't mind.

Bud
The cellular 64GB ipad provides me 3 things:
1. On the spot download of maps. I'm often on the road and suddenly decide to stop and check something out by air. I'm not the type to download maps prior to flying. I like have the map on all flights, which is insurance to know where the craft is, if an incident happens. So far no incidents, lucky me.
2. The ability to reset the home point if I move, such as traveling in a boat or dunebuggy as passenger while flying the drone, shooting myself or someone else. I rarely use that feature, but I like the option if I need it.
3. I have 64GB, and I like keeping the 720 video on my ipad to show others. The extra memory space facilitates that.

Your mini 4 is an excellent choice on a budget, I just appreciate the luxury of having the cellular option. I will also use my iPad mini to read PhantomPilots.com, so the cellular support helps when I'm on the road. I travel a lot and have opportunities to fly, eat and read quite often. I live, breath and eat this drone stuff all the time. :p

Oh, off the drone subject, one of my favorite uses of iPad Mini is to download TV programs from my DishNetwork Hopper unit to the iPad when I travel so I can watch my favorite programs on the plane. The 64GB space facilitates storing 20+hrs of TV programming, no problem. You can do this with Android now also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loz and Matchlock
Thank you very much for explaining this to me John, the information was actually quite helpful, as well as interesting.

As an old guy who just goes out to try and record nice settings to video on the Pro 4 I doubt that I'll ever need such a hefty device. Money's not an issue, but my way of thinking is if I don't need it, or haven't a clue what it is, then I really don't need it after all.

Thanks again though for the explanation and I can see that you really enjoy this drone thing quite a lot, as I do in my own way.

All the best to you John, and safe travels.

Bud

1. On the spot download of maps. I'm often on the road and suddenly decide to stop and check something out by air. I'm not the type to download maps prior to flying. I like have the map on all flights, which is insurance to know where the craft is, if an incident happens. So far no incidents, lucky me.
2. The ability to reset the home point if I move, such as traveling in a boat or dunebuggy as passenger while flying the drone, shooting myself or someone else. I rarely use that feature, but I like the option if I need it.
3. I have 64GB, and I like keeping the 720 video on my ipad to show others. The extra memory space facilitates that.

Your mini 4 is an excellent choice on a budget, I just appreciate the luxury of having the cellular option. I will also use my iPad mini to read PhantomPilots.com, so the cellular support helps when I'm on the road. I travel a lot and have opportunities to fly, eat and read quite often. I live, breath and eat this drone stuff all the time. :p

Oh, off the drone subject, one of my favorite uses of iPad Mini is to download TV programs from my DishNetwork Hopper unit to the iPad when I travel so I can watch my favorite programs on the plane. The 64GB space facilitates storing 20+hrs of TV programming, no problem.

Hi, i was trying to fund a NVIDIA SHIELD Tablette K1
but seems like all europe have run out of it right when i was needing one......
somebody can advise me a tablet that will be strong, reliable, efficient, and for a fair price ? dont see the point of paying more then i need, the shield is doing the job great for 200e so i dont really feel like puting 500e for mac overpriced crap

Thx everyone !

Sorry, I guess I can't help because I use that Apple crap myself on my Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Pro, it's an Apple iPad Mini 4 which has served me well for quite some time now. A year or so I had another piece of Apple crap when I used an iPad Mini 2 for my Phantom 3 Pro that worked flawlessly as well.

Bud

somebody can advise me a tablet that will be strong, reliable, efficient, and for a fair price ? dont see the point of paying more then i need, the shield is doing the job great for 200e so i dont really feel like puting 500e for mac overpriced crap

Thx everyone !

Reactions: Sharpshooter7

Oh, off the drone subject, one of my favorite uses of iPad Mini is to download TV programs from my DishNetwork Hopper unit to the iPad when I travel so I can watch my favorite programs on the plane. The 64GB space facilitates storing 20+hrs of TV programming, no problem.

John, How do you down load the maps? I just got a 4 for that purpose, but it is only a 16.

I use an iPad Air 2 without cellular. I USA a Garmin GLO to provide the GPS functionality to the iPad Air 2. This is actually more accurate GPS data than the cellular function would provide. The GLO uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPad. It is small and I put it in my shirt pocket. The only drawback is remembering to turn it off when you are finished flying. It is so small and non-intrusive that I forget it is there.

Thx everyone !
I would advise against any android based tablet for the P4P. Just look at the rating on Google Play store for DJI Go 4. It has huge issues. Stick with Apple IOS until they fix android version.

Reactions: Ursus Horribilis
I use an iPad Air 2 without cellular. I USA a Garmin GLO to provide the GPS functionality to the iPad Air 2. This is actually more accurate GPS data than the cellular function would provide. The GLO uses Bluetooth to connect to the iPad. It is small and I put it in my shirt pocket. The only drawback is remembering to turn it off when you are finished flying. It is so small and non-intrusive that I forget it is there.
What is your particular need for GPS that compels you to use it? Is it to track your RC with the follow me command, or the ability to reset home point after launch, if needed?

Def Air 2. I've experienced issues with my Air 1 using more CPU intensive tasks like follow me, and a lot more Go 4 crashes than on iphone 7+. Also Air 1 won't work really at all with Autopilot and not great with Litchi, if you're looking at 3rd party apps

I'm fairly new to this, but the video feed on my iPad Air (1) drops out when I try to use it, but it's rock solid on my iPhone 7, so I think the original Air is just a little too old to be a viable option for the P4P.

I just turn on mobile hotspot on my iPhone so my iPad Air can be connected. I didn't see the point of paying $125 extra for the cellular option.

and barometer if you're using Autopilot. You can get both with Airspace but I decided that avoiding that extra complication was worth the $$.

The purpose of GPS for me; where I fly there is no cellular service so I can't link to my cell phone. Before I go fly there and I am still in cellular service area, I bring up the map of the area I will be flying in. As long as you don't reboot your iPad, the area you were viewing is cached in the iPad's memory. Then when I fly in that area, the GPS device that is linked to the iPad provides my location in the maps that were cached. Especially UsFul when using Litchi and programming new waypoint flights. Without the GPS functionality, that would not be possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20