best car charge solution

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm going to do a big assignment and gonna fly a lot in one day... several times. I have 4 batteries for my p3 but I need to charge them on the go. Do anyone have a solution for that? I cant find a DJI car charger for the p3

DJI will no doubt release a car charger at some point, but they haven't yet. You could use a power inverter along with your DJI battery charger. Here are a few that are commonly used to charge Phantom batteries:

Last edited:
There are a few car chargers like that one on Amazon too (for example). They seem to either have negative and/or fake reviews though. Tread carefully.

Last edited:
Best bet right now is with a minimum of a 150 watt inverter to safely carry the load of the 110 volt charger. The charge time will still be the same as it take plunged into the house current.

What phartwig said, I use a quality 300 watt inverter. More than enough to charge your phone and P3 too.

20150808_120058.jpg
20150808_120115.jpg
Hi there

I'm going to do a big assignment and gonna fly a lot in one day... several times. I have 4 batteries for my p3 but I need to charge them on the go. Do anyone have a solution for that? I cant find a DJI car charger for the p3

Get at least 2 more batteries if you want to fly non -stop. Battery is hot and needs time to cool down. I am using DIY beer bag with ice to cool down batteries as fast as possible. Do not place batteries directly on ice. Put some ice in the plastic bag and cover it with some news paper to take the moister out. I am using 200 watt inverter and I do not like it. Sometimes it charges sometimes it does not. I would get 300 or 500 watt inverter.

Last edited:

That looks like a modified sine inverter as apposed to a pure sine inverter. I only know this as I am looking at purchasing an inverter and I have done a bit of research, there's quite a bit out there, usually in relation to motor homes and boats and from what I can gather a pure sine inverter gives you the same alternating current as your power supply at home, apparently some electrical items do not like a modified inverter and in some cases will not function correctly. Pure sine inverters are usually the more expensive option.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the dji battery or whether a pure sine inverter will extend the life of the battery? I will be interested to hear some feed back from experienced forum members before I make a purchase.

Edit: In the last hour I have read further and it would appear that a pure sine inverter is definitely the way to go, one article referenced a laptop battery, that due to using a modified inverter, was damaged and would no longer charge after a few months.

Last edited:
Reactions: acherman
Damm.....this was a waste of money.........
Yes i read something about the "wave", but couldn`t understand the concept.....

View attachment 27275 View attachment 27276

Get at least 2 more batteries if you want to fly non -stop. Battery is hot and needs time to cool down. I am using DIY beer bag with ice to cool down batteries as fast as possible. Do not place batteries directly on ice. Put some ice in the plastic bag and cover it with some news paper to take the moister out. I am using 200 watt inverter and I do not like it. Sometimes it charges sometimes it does not. I would get 300 or 500 watt inverter.

And you can put your beer in it, well unless you live in Colorful Colorado!

Reactions: tvckz
I bought the summit link last week off amazon. It most certainly is a. Fake review as battery does not like charge it receives from it plus it's only 50w so charge would take double time. Just bought the 300w pure inverter thanks for link. Now I really want to get that three battery power charger another moderator posted but 15A in my Prius kind of scares me

Reactions: pedrombracho
I'd honestly recommend getting more batteries if you have the money... I just finished a Egypt trip with 4 batteries and minimal driving... I filmed in morning and charged during day and usually was ready with enough batteries for the night. There was only one day I didn't have time to charge and only had 1 battery for the some of the best footage... I was so burnt about not having the extra batteries... Id imagine you will have at least one time where this will happen and having extra batteries will be worth it. In the moment where I ran out of batteries I would have paid anything for one more battery.

I have now bought 2 more batteries for a total of six, and I have 3 100 watt chargers so I can charge 3 in 1 hour and repeat... So as long as I have access to outlets I never run out of battery for more then 15 min or so.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Are they that easy to find now? I see people listing them, but fear it will turn into a "they'll be here any day" instead of, "in stock, ships tomorrow"
Don't know when the last one you ordered but I lucked out both times in July, once on B&H, the other through Advexure on Amazon. Had each in one day and two days respectively. They go in and out of stock quickly so I'd look at what each one says before buying

Reactions: damitjim01
View attachment 27275 View attachment 27276

Anything over a 150 watt inverter is useless unless you hard wire it through to your car battery leads.

Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4