Best camera for aereal photography

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm super excited since I got my Phantom last week and I started flying it and getting familiar with the controls and flying modes.
I bought it to experiment with low cost aerial photography so I wanted your advice for the camera.

My first option was the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition. Knowing that is more oriented to video than photography, it seemed a good option as multipurpose camera. Then I just learned the problems with focus at long distances. I'm not sure if they already fixed it so I'd like to explore other options.

So... What are your experiences? which cameras are you using? It is worth to have two cameras (some flavor of GoPro for video and other for photography?

I have a gopro hero3 black edition. I was upset when I saw a new gopro model show up but sounds like the only real benefit over the 3 vs 3+ is the longer battery life. IMHO I would say get a go pro hero 3 black for a discounted price. You can do 1080p @ 60fps with the hero 3 black which is typically what I shot in.

Phantom556 said:
I have a gopro hero3 black edition. I was upset when I saw a new gopro model show up but sounds like the only real benefit over the 3 vs 3+ is the longer battery life. IMHO I would say get a go pro hero 3 black for a discounted price. You can do 1080p @ 60fps with the hero 3 black which is typically what I shot in.

Good to know! and thanks for your answer... How it is typically your battery life time with the BE? I suppose it will be enough for a good flight and maybe other uses I can give to it. I also heard about some problems with the BE (not the +) randomly shutting off. Have you suffered that problem?

I've went cheap and installed a Emerson go action cam on mine and to tell you the truth I get great video for what I'm doing! Can't see spending $300 on a camera when you can spend $50 and still get great video! Emerson doesn't have Wi-fi though but thats okay because you don't want wi-fi on when your flying any way. I do have two cameras installed on mine and most of my money is in the Fat Sharks FPV thats on it, Weighed her in at the post office with the battery in and she weighed out at 2 pounds 2 ounces which I think came to about 964 grams but my math may be a little off!

justsomeguy said:
temporalista said:
I also heard about some problems with the BE (not the +) randomly shutting off. Have you suffered that problem?

This is caused by shoddy cards that claim to be Class 10 but don't support Class 10 data transfer specs.

Using a good card solves the problem. Also, GoPro released a firmware update that limits the max data rate on some cards they deem to be sub-par(this also prevents shutdown).

phantomflyer said:
Can't see spending $300 on a camera when you can spend $50 and still get great video!

Many people define "great video" differently than you do.
I guess I just can't see spending that much on a digital cam trying to get a Hollywood shot, Any bad camera you can touch up on your computer if you have a movie maker! I've done this to make a video of my flights and to tell you the truth I didn't see much different in quality! Could be at my age my eyesight isn't as good but I've had no complaints from others when posting them plus they are just amazed at what this thing can do and seeing the sites.
If your trying to make a top quality movie straight from the cams viewer then sure spend the money, If you are going to download it on your computer and make video clips for youtube and friends and family to see then you have the time to do a little touch up if need be, Save a little money because I'm sure your going to spend a lot more on your Phantom then you think!

I picked up a Mobius action cam for around $80. You can check YouTube for some comparison videos between that and the go Pro series. I have mine Velcro'd to the stock Go Pro mount. Just like the go Pro you can also buy a video out cable for around eight dollars and use it for FPV.

justsomeguy said:
temporalista said:
I also heard about some problems with the BE (not the +) randomly shutting off. Have you suffered that problem?

This is caused by shoddy cards that claim to be Class 10 but don't support Class 10 data transfer specs.

Using a good card solves the problem. Also, GoPro released a firmware update that limits the max data rate on some cards they deem to be sub-par(this also prevents shutdown).

I had a recording that suddenly stopped today without warning while in flight. But have had no issues on quite a few other recordings. The only difference today was using a gimbal for the first time. The card being used is Samsung 32GB Class 10 UHS-1 Grade 1 48MB/s MicroSDHC Plus. Is this card considered good. I did do a bit of research before buying it. This terminated recording did not matter as I was more testing the Phantom after putting it back together again. But it would be a pain if you captured a brilliant piece of footage- but found it had stopped halfway through without warning!

phantomflyer said:
justsomeguy said:
temporalista said:

phantomflyer said:
Can't see spending $300 on a camera when you can spend $50 and still get great video!

Many people define "great video" differently than you do.
I guess I just can't see spending that much on a digital cam trying to get a Hollywood shot, Any bad camera you can touch up on your computer if you have a movie maker! I've done this to make a video of my flights and to tell you the truth I didn't see much different in quality! Could be at my age my eyesight isn't as good but I've had no complaints from others when posting them plus they are just amazed at what this thing can do and seeing the sites.
If your trying to make a top quality movie straight from the cams viewer then sure spend the money, If you are going to download it on your computer and make video clips for youtube and friends and family to see then you have the time to do a little touch up if need be, Save a little money because I'm sure your going to spend a lot more on your Phantom then you think!

Personally, I'd rather spend less time in front of the computer "touching up video". I'd rather get great video from the source than have to fix it afterwards. Also do you intend on spending loads of money on video editing software to make up for the cheap camera purchase?

I did have issues with my GoPro Hero3 when I first got it, however the firmware changes fixed it. GoPro is a company growing faster than it can handle so a hiccup like that is typical. Also my GoPro isn't just a strap it to the quad and be done with it. It has gone scuba diving and free diving with me. The waterproof capability really helps out in other options, so you'll have a useful piece of equipment.

Clue Giver said:
Phantom556 said:
phantomflyer said:

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread.

I had forgotten about the abject confusion (" Any bad camera you can touch up on your computer if you have a movie maker!")that was posted by the phantomflyer fruitloop. It is very funny.

In a sad kind of way.

No worries, not all of us have the privilege of unlimited free-time until we are off of work.

Clue Giver said:
Phantom556 said:
phantomflyer said:

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread.

I had forgotten about the abject confusion (" Any bad camera you can touch up on your computer if you have a movie maker!")that was posted by the phantomflyer fruitloop. It is very funny.

In a sad kind of way.

Only fruitloops constantly get themselves kicked off web sites and keep sneaking in under different names because they are so board with their lives and can't behave in public!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4