Best angles for the antennas

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have the Vision 2+

What tips do you guys have for the best angles for the controller antenna and the range extender, for max range?

Thanks in advance

Derek

Point the flat side of the range extender (the top) at your Phantom. Bend the controller antenna to the right (horizontal) so it's parallel with the top of the controller.

Attachments

• HorizontalAntenna.png
    HorizontalAntenna.png
    188.5 KB · Views: 609
Geert said:
Just try to avoid pointing with the antenna straight to the Phantom
Excellent point.

I think this is the reason the side position works best. When bringing your Phantom back home, it would be tough to not have the antenna pointing straight at it when it's pointing skyward.

msinger said:
Here's the antenna position I was recommending:

See this video for an explanation of why this works best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzNBek5QcYY

Technically that's not optimum.

The antennas on the Phantom are vertically polarized due to their mounting scheme hanging down the landing gear..

The photo shows the Tx antenna in a horizontally polarized position.

The arrows used in the video do somewhat indicate the propagation but do not take into account polarization.
(agreed propagation is minimal to non-existent at the tips.)

This does not provide the maximum cross-section.

Best to keep the Tx antenna vertical with a slight tilt towards the operator to maintain maximum polarization and cross-section overlap as seen in the photo Geert provided.

Flying directly overhead is difficult do to almost no cross-section developing.

You'll notice many higher end systems with dual-antenna/diversity or satellite receivers specify that the the two antennas be placed at 90 degrees to each other. This helps eliminate fading due to polarization and shadowing issues.

I have done this on my P2 with my Futaba control system. One antenna is down the leg the other is across the side of the battery compartment.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl