Best 5.8ghz receiver?

Reaction score
I am using a 5 turn helical antenna on my Fatshark goggles. I'm wondering if there is a more sensitive, powerful receiver setup that would boost my range. Any recommendations? I know that I would have to do some kind of external receiver, but what would be good for long-range 5.8ghz? I've already installed a 2W Tx on my Phantom.

VoicOfReason said:
I am using a 5 turn helical antenna on my Fatshark goggles. I'm wondering if there is a more sensitive, powerful receiver setup that would boost my range. Any recommendations? I know that I would have to do some kind of external receiver, but what would be good for long-range 5.8ghz? I've already installed a 2W Tx on my Phantom.

Hmmmmm. Anyone?

How far do you want to go?

What helical are you using a decent one like Circular Wireless or a crap one from eBay?

An Immersion RC diversity RX with a couple of good helicals will easily get you anywhere between 15-25km but your Phantom will not be able to get there... let alone there AND back!

Going to 900mhz will get you further still.

I'm using an IBCrazy 5 turn helical receiver antenna and a high quality clover leaf for TX. As far as Phantom not being able to get that far, my 2000mw RC 2.4ghz transmitter booster may help with that.

VoicOfReason said:
I'm using an IBCrazy 5 turn helical receiver antenna and a high quality clover leaf for TX. As far as Phantom not being able to get that far, my 2000mw RC 2.4ghz transmitter booster may help with that.

But your Phantom battery wont!

The IB Crazy antennas are OK but antennas are FAR more important than power of TX.

I have the ibcrazy 5 turn helical and bluebeam ultra on my immersion rc 600mw. I've been as far as 1010m or more than a half mile. I know others go much further. How far did you want to go?

Well I easily hit 1 mile with my setup. I am more interested in having a good signal for when obstacles get in the way

If obstacles are the problem than do not use 5.8GHz.
The lower you go in frequency (like 900MHz) the better it will get for obstacles.

What is a good 900mhz system? Any recommendations?

VoicOfReason said:

Your setup should get you well beyond RC and Battery range. I have a IRC patch, black pearl and 600mW and can get about 2.5k with no obstacles. I bet you can probably get close to 4km if you wanted, but not sure if you can make it back due to battery. How much further do you wan to go?

If this is about obstacles, then you would need to use a lower fequency for you video. Try 900Mhz.

Thanks for the advice. As far as 900mhz goes, what is the video quality like compared to 5.8ghz? Is it noticeably worse? Does it interfere with 2.4ghz RC?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20