benefits of taping over the downward sensors

Reaction score
I read someone taped over the bottom sensors and is know able to fly close to the water and over it without crazy things happening. maybe this would help with yo yo also.
I know the sensors work mainly for indoor flight or is there benefit of leaving them covered during regular flights,,,,or bad?

I read someone taped over the bottom sensors and is know able to fly close to the water and over it without crazy things happening. maybe this would help with yo yo also.
I know the sensors work mainly for indoor flight or is there benefit of leaving them covered during regular flights,,,,or bad?

Why tape over them, when you can simply disable them from the dji go app???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I read you could not disable them in DJI. In the Litchi app you can. Unless you know for sure that you could with the current firmware.

I read you could not disable them in DJI. In the Litchi app you can. Unless you know for sure that you could with the current firmware.

My apologies, i dont see a toggle to turn off VPS, i thought it was on the same screen as the forward obstacle sensing settings. Interesting. I thought it was possible to disable this.

Reactions: scootrkitz
No problem,,,Still wondering if there would be bad side effects with them covered during regular flight. If they are really used for indoor I would choice not to have them on at all. Im not planing on filming indoors ever anyway

Reactions: Corey Berg
They aren't JUST for indoor flight. The ultrasonic sensors project sound out like radar. The sound waves come back and depending on the frequency and speedy that they come back at the drone knows how high off the ground it is and can tell if it's going up or down. It helps maintain altitude. WATER absorbs these mostly so that's why you need to disable them while over water.
The camera sensors look at the pattern on the ground and try to maintain the picture they see when the drone is hovering in place. It will compensate for wind by trying to keep the picture the same. It also isn't just for use indoors as it helps the drone maintain horizontal accuracy. It doesn't work well with water because the waves are a moving subject... thus making it confused. It also doesn't work well in low light situations. Hope this helps. Happy flying gentlemen. Oh and yes it is in the app under equipment and advanced setting I believe or under the sensor/ OA menu.

If you mount a mirror facing down, rebounding waves can be affected. But some of the waves will be reflected just next to VPS system and it might give a wrong signal to drone. I don't think it's a good idea to block these waves in these manners.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If anything... don't alter anything the company put in it. It's there for a reason. If you don't want it then don't buy a P4. Simple as that to me. It's very easy to disable in-app.

EDIT- the actual vps isn't in the app sorry...

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Following. I have not seen anywhere in the DJI app to allow you to turn off VPS. But I just read that you can in Litchi. I looked last night and sure enough you can. Now my question is does that help the yo-yoing off of the water when you get withing 5ft of it?

Reactions: amaxlegend
You should never be within 5 feet of water lol. So... if you read my comment, never have vps on over water. Give course lock a look see for water flying.

You should never be within 5 feet of water lol. So... if you read my comment, never have vps on over water. Give course lock a look see for water flying.
I did read your comment and I will look again to see if the turn off is in the DJI app. Thanks for that info for sure. But why not 5ft off the water? Running down a cool creek ect? And what is course lock for running down water? lol

I did read your comment and I will look again to see if the turn off is in the DJI app. Thanks for that info for sure. But why not 5ft off the water? Running down a cool creek ect?

I just wouldn't risk it lol. I'm doing a creek flight in about 20 minutes actually but if you are that low and something happens you have half a second to decide what to do lol.

I just wouldn't risk it lol. I'm doing a creek flight in about 20 minutes actually but if you are that low and something happens you have half a second to decide what to do lol.
Oh ok. Man I don't worry too much on being over water. Mine doesnt yo-yo until about 5ft anyway. Doesn't do it much at all if you are moving forward pretty good. Just got to watch the tree branches more than anything imo. LOL. But it's a neat shot down close every now and then.

I think installing the prop guards disables the VPS (Some DJIGo pop-up saying "Obstacle avoidance has been disabled" when mine are on.) so that be an option over water. Dunno, but my landings with them on are very smooth and controllable with no bouncing.

The VPS and OA (obs. avoid) are separate systems.
The former 'looks' down while the latter 'looks' forward.

The VPS and OA (obs. avoid) are separate systems.
The former 'looks' down while the latter 'looks' forward.
Good to know.

I thought they were linked as when I calibrated the front and bottom sensors to the screen in Assistant 2. Fwiw, my second bad P4 had issues and refused to calibrate the bottom one so it went back and I exchanged for a third P4 at Best Buy. Now the the third one seems to have a lot of random hot white pixels in the stills in the blue sky, but they can be retouched out, and I don't see it as much in movie mode. Can't exchange the third since this hot pixel thing popped up beyond their 15 day exchange period. Can't win.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj