Benefits of anti-static compass

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Can anyone explain what benefits the anti-static compass has over the original compass?

Static is electricity and as such magnetic fields will be created which can/may have an effect on the compass - so anti-static will be better.

Being cynical

cheaper plastic enclosure without the additional connector on the leg.

I like that it does not need to be taped to the landing gear. I'm guessing that's possible since the cable is a little more rigid.

msinger said:
Can anyone explain what benefits the anti-static compass has over the original compass?
No .. just like there is no clear explanation or data showing how the new ESCs or motors make the updated Phantom any better.

I suspect the original magnetometer, with it's metal exterior housing, was susceptible to ESD. This would/could cause damage to the magnetometer or other components via its connection.
Changes like this are sometimes a response to data collected from units returned from the field for repair.

The possibility that it also, or exclusively, reduces costs is a very real consideration too as all corporations continually strive to reduce fixed costs.

Meta4 said:
there is no clear explanation or data showing how the new ESCs or motors make the updated Phantom any better.
The following site does not include data, but it does list the benefits:
http://www.dronecamps.com/#!product/prd ... ---part-11

1. The double layer, single wire stator technology increases slot wire embedding degree and improves heat dissipation. Also, the single wire stator design improves motor efficiency and its ability to withstand a larger current, ensuring consistency in the motor’s performance.
2. The new bearings, with a higher durability and ability to withstand greater impacts, are used to avoid damage in the event of an accident, greatly reducing maintenance costs.
3. New insulation coating powder is used to improve the stator voltage capacity, ensuring the working life and stability of the motor.
4. The electromagnetic design and lightweight structure, customized for the DJI Phantom, has increased maximum output power by nearly 25% without adding extra weight.
5. The new propeller adopts a 4.5 inch pitch, which when used with the 2312 motor can provide an extra 200g/axis of output thrust, giving you both power and flexibility. Furthermore, your Phantom’s flight time is not reduced, because of the increased aerodynamic performance and motor efficiency.

But, I agree. It would be nice if DJI took the time to share the gruesome details about their latest products.

Meta4 said:
msinger said:
No .. just like there is no clear explanation or data showing how the new ESCs or motors make the updated Phantom any better.

Motors and ESCs are all math, knowing the stator size and kv gives you a good idea of how it's supposed to perform. Most of us need more direct, tangible evidence though :) I just got a set of 2312s and ESC V2s for my P2, and will be installing and testing them this weekend!

Awesome. I trust you'll post an uneccessarily wordy write up with lots of photos :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl