Beginner's questions

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a DJI Phanthom and I am going to fly it for the first time tomorrow. Before I do, I have a few things I want to make sure I understand and get confirmation on.

1) There is no manual in the DJI Phanthom box (there wasn't in mine). One should refer to the Quick Start, Advanced, Naza-M, Battery & Charger manuals available on the DJI web site.

2) The battery has two connections (I understand one to be for auxiliary devices such as a Gimball) and so does the charger. Should one connect both battery connectors to the charger. Are there actually two batteries in that one battery, each of them needs to be charged?

3) Before your first flight you should:
  • Update the software?
  • Charge your battery
  • Attach your blades (being careful of the rotation direction for each
  • Attach the landing pads, connecting the compass, using tape to secure compass & antenna
  • Add 4 AA to the controller
  • Turn on the controller
  • Put the battery into the quadropter to turn it on
  • Wait for GPS acquisition
  • Calibrate the compass
  • FLY your quadropter
  • After landing, remove the battery
  • Turn off the controller

4) What is the piece of string that comes in a little bag with the wrench and tape for?

5) A GoPro 3 (Black) moves around a lot in the DJI mount, what do people do to prevent that? I am not talking about Jello or anything like that, just the mere fact that the GoPro 3 is probably smaller than its predecessor and the mount too big for it.

6) How do you guys use the stickers to identify front from back?

I'll have more, I assume but in the mean time those are my first questions. Thanks in advance for your help!

•Update the software? WAIT FOR A WHILE BEFORE YOU DO THE UPDATE
•Charge your battery YES
•Attach your blades (being careful of the rotation direction for each YES
•Attach the landing pads, connecting the compass, using tape to secure compass & antenna YES
•Add 4 AA to the controller YES
•Turn on the controllerYES AND MAKE SURE THE THROTTLE, LEFT CONTROLLER, IS PULLED ALL THE WAY BACK
•Put the battery into the quadropter to turn it on SET ON A LEVEL SURFACE AND TURN ON
•Wait for GPS acquisition YES
•Calibrate the compassYES
•FLY your quadropterYES
•After landing, remove the batteryYES
•Turn off the controllerYES

5) A GoPro 3 (Black) moves around a lot in the DJI mount, what do people do to prevent that? I am not talking about Jello or anything like that, just the mere fact that the GoPro 3 is probably smaller than its predecessor and the mount too big for it.
PURCHASE A GIMBAL OR ADD FOAM

Okay, first of all, congratulations. You will really enjoy being a Phantom owner.

The battery is a 3 cell, or "3s" 3.7 volts each for a total of 11.1 volts. The little adapter, is called the "balance lead",
and is used when charging the battery, to make sure all cells have the same amount of charge. Yes, you do have to plug
it into the charger when charging the battery.

The little piece of string, is to put on your finger, so you remember to turn on the radio first. (just kidding), I don't remember
what it is for. I never used it. The tape is to keep the antenna up against the landing skid.

I guess most guys use a piece of foam to take up the extra space in the camera holder. I never used that either, as I usually
kept the camera in the waterproof housing.

The front of the Phantom, is the battery door. The back is where the bright flashing LED is, so you know the status.
Also, the red led lights, are in front, and green in back. That should help in low light conditions, or if the communications
led isn't facing you.

Sticker placement is totally up to you . Although the red stripes, go on the front arms, in grooves designed specifically for
that purpose.

Note: If you take the top shell off, make sure you put it back the correct way, or the gps, which is mounted in the top,
will not function correctly.

Have fun, be safe.

2) The battery has two connections (I understand one to be for auxiliary devices such as a Gimball) and so does the charger. Should one connect both battery connectors to the charger. Are there actually two batteries in that one battery, each of them needs to be charged?

Beside being the balance lead, it is sometime being used as the variable power supply for accessories, for example:
1. The battery monitor with alarm:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Alarm.html

2. The battery pack tester:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ecker.html
It is very helpful to set up your voltage cutoff properly, which means once you land your Phantom either from first RED warning or self landing the capacity left in the pack should be 20% or more. This gadget will let you know by connecting the balance lead to it and just look at the number displayed. :)

4) What is the piece of string that comes in a little bag with the wrench and tape for?

They are the adhesive wire ties for the GPS wire to attach it to the carbon pole!
Not applicable to our Phantom though. ;)

tanasit said:

They are the adhesive wire ties for the GPS wire to attach it to the carbon pole!

I thought I read that the little string was to tie to the internal USB cord ..
and the tape was to tape the antenna and gps wire.
..tho DJI makes no mention of either really.

Gnapoleon said:
Hi,

I recently got a DJI Phanthom and I am going to fly it for the first time tomorrow. Before I do, I have a few things I want to make sure I understand and get confirmation on.

1) There is no manual in the DJI Phanthom box (there wasn't in mine). One should refer to the Quick Start, Advanced, Naza-M, Battery & Charger manuals available on the DJI web site.

• Update the software?
  • Charge your battery
  • Attach your blades (being careful of the rotation direction for each
  • Attach the landing pads, connecting the compass, using tape to secure compass & antenna
  • Add 4 AA to the controller
  • Turn on the controller
  • Put the battery into the quadropter to turn it on
  • Wait for GPS acquisition
  • Calibrate the compass
  • FLY your quadropter
  • After landing, remove the battery
  • Turn off the controller

6) How do you guys use the stickers to identify front from back?

I'll have more, I assume but in the mean time those are my first questions. Thanks in advance for your help!
6) Should I update the software a

- the mount DJI provides is for the GoPro2, (which is a bit silly that they still include considering most people are buying GoPro3's)
you need to mount the GoPro either using it's weatherproof housing, or buy a naked frame from GoPro

the red stickers go on the front arms, as indicated. other sticker go wherever you want.

Gizmo3000 said:
tanasit said:

I thought I read that the little string was to tie to the internal USB cord ..
and the tape was to tape the antenna and gps wire.
..tho DJI makes no mention of either really.

The strings came in the GPS pack which is the optional part for NAZA setup and it is too short for the USB cord, I believe.
As for the WHITE tape, yes it is to secure the antenna and the COMPASS to the legs, not GPS wire.
But I guess you can do whatever you see fit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj