Beginner Drones - Your Top 5?

Reaction score
Hey! Just would like to pose a question. I'm thinking of stocking some lower-end drones in my store, since not everyone's ready to buy a Phantom with their first purchase. I'm curious to see what people think are their top 5 for starter drones. I know a lot of people start with Phantoms, and some don't, it's mainly a matter of price, but here's my top 5. I'd love to hear yours!

1. Syma X5C
2. Hubsan H107D
3. Cheerson CX-20
4. Hubsan H107C
5. (extremely beginner) Syma X11 / Cheerson CX-10

UDI 818A is a good cheap drone that can take repeated impacts (DAMHIK) and just keep flying.
I was flying this for a few months before I got my P3, and got pretty good with it...

I got the upgraded one, the Discovery + for about $100 on sale. I still fly it. It does tricks, and
is a lot faster and more responsive than the Phantom 3. Not good on windy days though.

UDI 818A is a good cheap drone that can take repeated impacts (DAMHIK) and just keep flying.
Not good on windy days though.

They were $59.00 this summer, now they're $99... what an increase :) But they do take the impacts. My grandson landed it upside down and found that it wouldn't dig through black top... lol. Turned it over and it flew slower because the props were shaved but it still works fine & new props are cheap. Never use beginner mode and it works a lot better in wind :)

I was flying this for a few months before I got my P3, and got pretty good with it...

I got the upgraded one, the Discovery + for about $100 on sale. I still fly it. It does tricks, and
is a lot faster and more responsive than the Phantom 3. Not good on windy days though.
They were $59.00 this summer, now they're $99... what an increase :) But they do take the impacts. My grandson landed it upside down and found that it wouldn't dig through black top... lol. Turned it over and it flew slower because the props were shaved but it still works fine & new props are cheap. Never use beginner mode and it works a lot better in wind :)
Nice! I'll look into the 818A!

The X5C is so popular :)

Hak909 is the one I learned on. It's actually slightly bigger than the phantom and sticks behave exactly like the Phantom. It survives crashes very well.

Hak909 is the one I learned on. It's actually slightly bigger than the phantom and sticks behave exactly like the Phantom. It survives crashes very well.
Oooh, interesting! Hadn't heard of this one before. I'll be sure to do some research on it!

How expensive is that quad, though? I got my first X5C for around $50, then I was able to buy a second without the transmitter and camera for around $22.

Yea the cheap practice drones don't really need a camera and should sell for under $60. It is for practice anyway. Like with the UDI's the drones can be got on sale for >$70 and they really take a beating. I mean I got it stuck in the top of a 140 foot sugar pine tree before I realized that beginner mode was basically no flying ability mode... So I toggled it off and on and watched it swing its way up and down off of the branch and fall to the ground with part of the branch stuck in a prop. Pulled the branch and flew off again never using beginner mode ever again. I just bought another set of props for it because I gave it to my grandson and we like having drone wars... lol. The props were $1.72 for the set and you just can't beat that price. It's been driven into walls, grandma, brothers, you name it. Stuck in tree's 3 times and recovered along with flipping upside down and grinding the props on the ground and it still flies great. I wouldn't play chicken with my P3A but it's hella fun with the UDI.

How expensive is that quad, though? I got my first X5C for around $50, then I was able to buy a second without the transmitter and camera for around $22.

The price has been dropping steadily since last summer. Right now it's $88/$78 w/wo camera. This is quite a bit larger than the X5C.

I got an X5C from Amazon last week for $38 I think, was a daily deal, or whatever they call it. I did have to return it after 3 days because a motor died, but I got the replacement literally the NEXT DAY. Was pretty awesome service...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic