Before spending money... F2P+ vs F2 H3-3D

Reaction score
Alright folks, i'v been a lurker for sometime but finally decided to join the party :lol:

I'm looking for a rig that can provide me with some HD footage (both movie and photographs) for a few projects i'm starting up.

I'm pretty much stumped between the new Vision + and getting the H3-3D and sticking a Hero3+ Black Edition.

I'm wondering how much image quality differences we are talking about with both system

AND!

Just what else am i suppose to buy if i go with the H3-3D version (do i need a different remote, other parts/products) to end up with the same 'system' the Vision+ offers (same features, including the video to iphone/ipad feature and the 'range' extender).

Thanks for the advice's before i pull the trigger.

I'm not a fan of the vision cameras just because the GoPro has upgrade capability (GoPro Hero 4 specs should be pretty good per the rumors). I've read too many threads here where Vision owners decide to go the GoPro route.

Are you really wanting to get into it? If you need something better than a GoPro for filming, you might want to go with a DJI 550 or something similar with more payload ability.

My advice would be to wait for the Vison+ to come out and see if the Phantom 2 H3-3D drops in price.

The Vision+ is already out AFAIK, it's available for sale in Canada and ships on the 15th to customers.

Price is a limiting factor or else i would buy a big rig and stick my HDSLR on it (or a Red camera), but the price difference is HUGE. Maybe later. Laws and regulations also play a big factor, especially for commercial work here. As soon it starts to get better = more headaches.

Anyone that owns the Phantom 2 + H3-3D with a Hero3+ Black Edition, is the camera able to face the ground at a 90 degree angle like on the Vision+?

Ronan87 said:
The Vision+ is already out AFAIK, it's available for sale in Canada and ships on the 15th to customers.

Price is a limiting factor or else i would buy a big rig and stick my HDSLR on it (or a Red camera), but the price difference is HUGE. Maybe later. Laws and regulations also play a big factor, especially for commercial work here. As soon it starts to get better = more headaches.

Anyone that owns the Phantom 2 + H3-3D with a Hero3+ Black Edition, is the camera able to face the ground at a 90 degree angle like on the Vision+?

Yes.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is really a question.

If you plan on making some money with your footage I can't see how you can consider the Vision camera. It simply isn't comparable to the Gopro 3 + black.

ericdes said:
To be honest I'm not sure if this is really a question.

If you plan on making some money with your footage I can't see how you can consider the Vision camera. It simply isn't comparable to the Gopro 3 + black.

That's what i wanted to know. I'v seen a LOT of mix responses with people swearing to the Vision+ image quality.

I never used those gopro camera's (i shoot with Nikon HDSLR's and always have).

If the Hero3+ Black is that much better then it's an easy answer :)

Now i'm just wondering what i need to buy to get the same system as the vision+.

Phantom 2 + H3-3D + Hero3+ Black and what else? Do i need a range extender? Do i need something to connect my gopro to my ipad/iphone just as we see on the Vision+? Is that what the iOSD Mini do?

The 3 + black can shoot in 2.7K at 30 FPS or 1080 at 60 FPS, great from slowmotion.

The vision + camera doesn't seem that much better than the Vision camera.

The Gopro can produce some absolutely incredible footage, with some editing. You have more information on how to's and editing tips on that camera than any other. Even most editing software have gopro specific lens corrections and plug ins.

ericdes said:
The 3 + black can shoot in 2.7K at 30 FPS or 1080 at 60 FPS, great from slowmotion.

The vision + camera doesn't seem that much better than the Vision camera.

The Gopro can produce some absolutely incredible footage, with some editing. You have more information on how to's and editing tips on that camera than any other. Even most editing software have gopro specific lens corrections and plug ins.

I saw that, pretty exciting honestly.

I'm just stumped to what else i need to buy to be able to control the gymbal with my iphone and have a live view/recording option on it (just like the vision+).

I'm with you. I'd like to know what else I need. I have the Phantom 2, Zenmuse H3-2D gimble and GoPro Hero 3. I want a FPV set-up. I have the 2.4G data link for GRound Station, but I really want the FPV set-up. Help :)

mrand said:
I'm with you. I'd like to know what else I need. I have the Phantom 2, Zenmuse H3-2D gimble and GoPro Hero 3. I want a FPV set-up. I have the 2.4G data link for GRound Station, but I really want the FPV set-up. Help :)

Lightbridge will fit on a Vision, but it's going to up the weight even more. Of course it's also going to cost you a lot. There are cheaper alternatives, but you haven't really elaborated on your budget or application. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T128TdKjo

As a hobbyist, the PV+ fits my application - fun and some video that looks halfway decent. If you're doing it professionally, then I'm not sure if the differences in quality between the P2V+ and Hero3+ are really enough to justify the added expense when you consider additional FPV gear. And then there's the weight/air time issues involved with all that additional gear - the stuff that's built into the P2V+ at probably 1/2 the weight.

P2V+
-----------------------------
$1300
Ground Station software update (assumed free when available)

P2 + H3 3D: $960
Lightbridge: $1600 + Monitor ???
Hero3+ Black $400
Ground Station $200
+ CAN bus hub = ??
-----------------------------
$3160+

All this to get basically what's included in the P2V+ to buy you slightly better (has anyone even proved this?) video quality and less flight time.

If you want Professional, then get an 550 or S800 and slap your gear on that. Don't bother trying to Frankenstein together a platform that wasn't designed for it. To say that a P2 with a Hero3+ and 3D Zemuse is "more professional" than a P2V+ (at 2 to 3x the price) just doesn't ring true based on any evidence anyone here has.

What about someone that buys a Phantom 2 + h3-3D gymabl?

What does he need to play whatever the camera see's on his iphone, just the way the vision+ does it using the DJI Vision APP?

The only thing i found was a $79 part called iOSD Mini which i THINK is what i need...
http://www.dji.com/product/iosd-mini

I ordered the P2 with H3-3D gimbal and Hero 3+ Black with 10" monitor for FPV. I got my P2V from Atlanta Hobby and they are great to work with. My combo RTF should arrive within the next couple of weeks. It did come last Monday but was assembled with the two axis gimbal...so they said ship it back and we will fix the problem, which I did. You can review their P2 combo RTF birds on their site at: https://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/v ... dcategory= No soldering, no hassle, test flown and ready to fly...just calibrate first an go up, up and away. Got several shoots already booked for this combo unit. It will be a major upgrade from the P2V but do not know for sure about the quality of the P2V+? Just wait and see. Released footage looks pretty descent....esp. for iPhones and iPads, etc.

I ordered the P2 with H3-3D gimbal and Hero 3+ Black with 10" monitor for FPV. I got my P2V from Atlanta Hobby and they are great to work with. My combo RTF should arrive within the next couple of weeks. It did come last Monday but was assembled with the two axis gimbal...so they said ship it back and we will fix the problem, which I did. You can review their P2 combo RTF birds on their site at: https://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc/v ... dcategory= No soldering, no hassle, test flown and ready to fly...just calibrate first an go up, up and away. Got several shoots already booked for this combo unit. It will be a major upgrade from the P2V but do not know for sure about the quality of the P2V+? Just wait and see. Released footage looks pretty descent....esp. for iPhones and iPads, etc.

That's nice but too expensive for me, especially when i already have a iphone, ipad and ipad mini laying around that i could easily use for a monitor.

That's why i'm trying to see just what i need from DJI (e-mailed them twice already) to turn their P2 into a P2V+ but with a Hero3+ Black attached.

Edit: Can i use the iPad ground station with the Phantom 2/V+? I might simply get that if it lets me assign 'missions' and if it lets me view what the Hero3+ views... (not sure about that).

Ronan87 said:
Alright folks, i'v been a lurker for sometime but finally decided to join the party :lol:

I'm looking for a rig that can provide me with some HD footage (both movie and photographs) for a few projects i'm starting up.

I'm pretty much stumped between the new Vision + and getting the H3-3D and sticking a Hero3+ Black Edition.

I'm wondering how much image quality differences we are talking about with both system

AND!

Just what else am i suppose to buy if i go with the H3-3D version (do i need a different remote, other parts/products) to end up with the same 'system' the Vision+ offers (same features, including the video to iphone/ipad feature and the 'range' extender).

Thanks for the advice's before i pull the trigger.

I was in the same place as you, Ronan87. After doing my research, I came to the same conclusion as Varmint's post. For what I want to do (hobbyist videography), it did not seem to be worth another $1500 to $2000 to outfit a Vision 2 with the gear needed to match the V+ whole package. After watching all the videos, the smoothness of the final video was the most important thing and the videos themselves looked good with the V+. Everyone who sounds like they know a little says the Gopro camera is better, but having the whole package delivered in ready-to-fly condition was very appealing to me.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20