Beach disaster

Reaction score
So my worst nightmare happened today. Flying on the beach in Barcelona. Sunday afternoon and the place os crowded. Everyone is watching. I am flying sideways along the boardwalk and I hit a pole. It rained down plastic for a moment and then in front of thousands I had to go clean up the pieces.

I just had A mental footage of that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry bro I could not help my self.. I feel you pain.
I also had lost Phantom to a watery grave from a flyaway.

I've been to Rota, Spain a few times. If this happened at a topless beach, it couldn't have been all that bad :D

I'll post the footage when I get home...i can't edit and upload it yet.
4ene3yvy.jpg

That sucks that you lost your p2v, but... You were flying over a boardwalk with thousands of people around. What if one of these pieces of plastic hit someone in the eye? I don't want to be a ****, but you flew it into a non-moving object, with the potential to injure bystanders. Not knowing the exact details, it may have been perfectly safe, in which case, bad on me. But an accident where a bystander is injured will quickly get us unwanted press and eventual regulations... We all must be careful in the future!

mchad said:
That sucks that you lost your p2v, but... You were flying over a boardwalk with thousands of people around. What if one of these pieces of plastic hit someone in the eye? I don't want to be a ****, but you flew it into a non-moving object, with the potential to injure bystanders. Not knowing the exact details, it may have been perfectly safe, in which case, bad on me. But an accident where a bystander is injured will quickly get us unwanted press and eventual regulations... We all must be careful in the future!

oh comon!! What if..

-i'm walking my dog and he bites in your leg!
-a kitesurfer catches to much wind and slams into another kite..
-i throw a piece of bread in the air and it flies in someones eye by accident.

Accidents happen to everyone, ofcourse he didnt want to hit this object and he tried to be safe. Btw, it sounds like a swarm of bee's and it is an eyecatcher.. so people will pay attention.

Schenso said:
mchad said:

oh comon!! What if..

-i'm walking my dog and he bites in your leg!
-a kitesurfer catches to much wind and slams into another kite..
-i throw a piece of bread in the air and it flies in someones eye by accident.

Accidents happen to everyone, ofcourse he didnt want to hit this object and he tried to be safe. Btw, it sounds like a swarm of bee's and it is an eyecatcher.. so people will pay attention.

Of course accidents happen but as I said, as it seems with most things these days they, will try and regulate us... I just don't want to give them any ammo.

And basically every example you just gave puts you at fault and liable... At least here in the US.

In todays litigious society, we are all responsible for our actions. If I'm driving my boat and my wake knocks someone off their kayak and they drown, guess who's going to jail? Me. I'm just saying we have to be careful, more so then ever before.

I feel for the op's loss, really I do. And I fear the day my P2V augers in, but as I said, I won't be anywhere near population who could be injured. I don't need the press, or the lawsuit. But then, I am in America...

Well I have to admit it was arrogant and irresponsible of me. And yes someone could have been hurt. That's what made it so bad. I was flirting with disaster and it bit me. The Phantom is fine. Broke a prop. The pieces were the camera separated and so did the battery. To save face I quickly replaced the prop and flew again.

And Pull_up is right. That pole just jumped out and bit me. Like riding a motorcycle. What you look at is what you will hit.

One word of advice if you think you need it or not... Zip tie your pillows. The landing gear cannot protect the camera if it seperates.

myvrodrocks said:
Well I have to admit it was arrogant and irresponsible of me. And yes someone could have been hurt. That's what made it so bad. I was flirting with disaster and it bit me. The Phantom is fine. Broke a prop. The pieces were the camera separated and so did the battery. To save face I quickly replaced the prop and flew again.

And Pull_up is right. That pole just jumped out and bit me. Like riding a motorcycle. What you look at is what you will hit.

One word of advice if you think you need it or not... Zip tie your pillows. The landing gear cannot protect the camera if it seperates.

Broken prop? Nice save. Glad it survived. They seem amazingly tough tbh. Glad to see your response too. Good luck in future flights! And, watch out for those solid objects ;-)

myvrodrocks said:

Have to say this may not be the thing to do
I had mine zip tied on all 4 corners but when it tumbled through a tree and hit the ground the pillows
and 1/2 the lower bracket stayed attached. this made the lower bracket break at the servo
and camera still flew away.Now need new bracket as well

Well it appears when you go down the recording stops and it must me 10 seconds or so behind because my video ends about 10 seconds. Maybe 3-5 seconds before I bit the pole. I am uploading the last minute to youtube now. You can at least see the audience and appreciate the embarrassment. Probably a few hundred short of a thousand, but it felt like a million. .

myvrodrocks said:
Well it appears when you go down the recording stops and it must me 10 seconds or so behind because my video ends about 10 seconds. Maybe 3-5 seconds before I bit the pole. I am uploading the last minute to youtube now. You can at least see the audience and appreciate the embarrassment. Probably a few hundred short of a thousand, but it felt like a million. .
I believe when it went down and lost power the video was not properly closed as it would have been if the recording was stopped first, before powering down. When you restore a corrupt video I understand you may lose a few seconds off the end.

Geo

Yea... Check out this screen shot. This is what the app was displaying after it lost connection.
y7a5y6aq.jpg
you can make out the pole and the sidewalk. And the people it missed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4