Beach Camera/Buydig

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first of what will be many posts as my son and I embark on this drone journey. He wants a drone for Christmas. After missing the Black Friday sales (should have listened to him) I've been searching for deals on Phantom 3's. We were originally thinking a P3S but the pricing on the P3A's and now the P3P's are very close. There are refurbished P3A's out there for $639, lots of used ones and then I found an open box deal at Beach Camera on a P3P for $599. FYI there's one left! Any thoughts on Beach Camera or the pro vs. the advanced? My thought was $599 is cheaper than even the refurbished P3A's and according to Beach if the previous customer hadn't registered it then it still has the warranty. If we get it and there are any problems (including no warranty) Beach will let us return it for 45 days.

The P3A and P3P are completely different animals than the P3S. This is due to the control system which uses wifi in the S and Lightbridge in the A & P. Lightbridge gives a really steady connection and can fly over much greater distances. If you buy an S you'll regret it.

Ok, so he main difference between the P3A and the P3P is the camera. If you have the capability to edit video in 4K - then the P is for you. If you don't (4k is very power hungry) then just go for the P3A which can do 2.7k - I only ever use 1080P which is good.

Depends what you want it for, but as it looks like a hobby drone, I'd go for a P3A. Enjoy!

I'd rather have a good refurb than an "open box, maybe warrantied" drone. Just me.

Hi and welcome to Phantoms Forum - perfect choice as to on-line info and help when it comes to Phantoms - any questions or concerns, check out the search and no doubt someone here has seen, done, experienced whatever it is your searching for answers or queries on........and if they can't help directly they usually point you in the right direction for help.

I reviewed Beach Camera and some other Camera stores while considering an online purchase of a camera a while back - couldn't find a bad review - looks like you would be ok with those guys and your purchase.

I have a P3S and love it - also have a P4 and based on my own experience flying both - I find the P3S to be the better of the two as to handling (not knocking the P4 as it is a lot of fun also). Great price also considering a 45 day full return policy on it - never hurts to have them put that in writing on the sales slip.

Best of luck to you and your son with flying n filming - something tells me a 2nd Phantom will be in the books once you watch how much fun he has with his.

P3P refurb straight from DJI. Great price knowing its coming straight from DJI. My 2 cents

Safe Flying !

As I've said several times already on this forum: Buyer beware. You get what you pay for when looking at used equipment.
I bought the P3P just because I didn't know exactly what I might want to do with it over the next couple years beyond taking stills for publication. The P3P then gives me the most options among the P3A, P3S, and P3P, as well as rock solid flight characteristics.

Hello all. This is my first of what will be many posts as my son and I embark on this drone journey. He wants a drone for Christmas. After missing the Black Friday sales (should have listened to him) I've been searching for deals on Phantom 3's. We were originally thinking a P3S but the pricing on the P3A's and now the P3P's are very close. There are refurbished P3A's out there for $639, lots of used ones and then I found an open box deal at Beach Camera on a P3P for $599. FYI there's one left! Any thoughts on Beach Camera or the pro vs. the advanced? My thought was $599 is cheaper than even the refurbished P3A's and according to Beach if the previous customer hadn't registered it then it still has the warranty. If we get it and there are any problems (including no warranty) Beach will let us return it for 45 days.

buy it now and fly it now
you have 45 days to see if any issues.
if it does return and no harm done
if it is all good as it most likely is then you win!

I have bought from Beach--they are a solid vendor and will back it up
they are same/similar to B& H .
FWIW bought 6 open /box used units P2,p3's from BH and all perfectly fine.

in fact , after Christmas I will be shopping for a Mavik this way...

I just scored one of these last night. Received shipping notice a couple of hours ago.

Sweet! I got a P3P refurb for the same price direct from DJI through Newegg and it looks brand new in every way. The accessories were still sealed, plastic wrap was on everything... and it flies beautifully. The P3P refurbs are cheaper than the Advanced refurbs for some reason.

Thanks guys. Shipping notice came today - free overnight Saturday delivery. So far, so good! My thoughts exactly with the 45 day return policy. I'll check it out when it comes and see if it's been registered for warranty purposes. If it hasn't and everything looks good (which I'm sure it will) then Bob's your Uncle. Thanks for the link to Dronenerds. It was between their refurbished and Beach. He's going to love this thing!

Now I need to find him a cheapish extra battery, a carrying case and a micro sd card.

it should have a card already
battery is great extra
case you may want to wait--
they are not cheap and folks have specific wants and uses how they carry

good luck and have fun flying!

Now I need to find him a cheapish extra battery, a carrying case and a micro sd card.

If you get another battery get a DJI battery. Don't void your warranty by going cheap on the second battery, and taking a chance that something happens.

Also, build your own carry case. I built one for under $50 using a Sterilite container from Walmart. Get some foam and spray glue from the craft section. Mine is just large enough so I don't have to remove the props. I built different sections for extra batteries, charger, Tx, and tools.

Last edited:
If you get another battery get a DJI battery. Don't void your warranty by going cheap on the second battery, and taking a chance that something happens.

Also, build your own carry case. I built one for under $50 using a Sterilite container from Walmart. Get some foam and spray glue from the craft section. Mine is just large enough so I don't have to remove the props. I built different sections for extra batteries, charger, Tx, and tools.
Interesting idea, could ya post some pics?

Reactions: Webby
Interesting idea, could ya post some pics?

Here you go!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: Webby
Not so great news... Drone looked used - several of the props had black marks on them like they had been run into something. Called DJI and they said it had never been registered - so that's good news. Tried to fire it up and got the Video Disconnected alert. After three calls to DJI it seems like they can fix it but it will take 2 weeks. That's after Christmas. My thought is to return the P3P to Beach Camera and get a standard (out of stock) or advanced through BH Photo. The other option is to send this one back to DJI and get it fixed and back after Christmas. Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic