be carefull when hand landing (nsfw)

Reaction score
this happened today while hand landing my bird, as i have done in about 98% of my flights

when i was about to catch the bird my cell rang and i distracted for a second, luckily for me nothing to be worried about...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 944
MadMitch88 said:
npalen said:
Stock props or carbon fiber?

If those were carbon fiber props he'd prolly only have a few stubs for fingers :eek:

indeed :shock:
im using stock props.

chapsrlz said:
this happened today while hand landing my bird, as i have done in about 98% of my flights

when i was about to catch the bird my cell rang and i distracted for a second, luckily for me nothing to be worried about...

Out of curiosity... You're left handed?

-slinger

This is why people who own Phantoms need to learn how to land them on the ground! Someone had to say it :mrgreen:

To gunslinger - no, he's right-handed. His thumb was neatly sliced off.

In addition to the question in my signature - why would anyone want to grab a dangerous weapon out of the air when it's perfectly capable of landing on the ground?? Never understood that.

CallMeAlan said:

In addition to the question in my signature - why would anyone want to grab a dangerous weapon out of the air when it's perfectly capable of landing on the ground?? Never understood that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I mean was he ORIGINALLY left handed? I find it far safer, for the aircraft, to hand land. Especially on a windy day. Propellers slamming into the ground isn't good for the props, motors or the aircraft in general. IMHO

-slinger

CallMeAlan said:

First off: it is NOT a dangerous weapon.
Second: I am very shocked that stock props did that.

I catch it out of the air all of the time because it gets weird when landing sometimes. Never had an issue

i didnt mention this yesterday (and its obvious) it was all my fault, the cell phone rang i distracted and luckily for me ended with just a "scratch" (it could have been worse)
lesson learned, and im pretty sure it wont happen to me again.

gunslinger said:
Out of curiosity... You're left handed?
-slinger

no, im right handed.
but i always catch it with my left hand :shock:

jimandsue60 said:
This is why people who own Phantoms need to learn how to land them on the ground! Someone had to say it :mrgreen:
i know how to land it on ground, i've done it about 2% of my flights and only in my first try i had a bad landind which ended in a flip and two broken props.

mmn said:
Airplane Mode on the cell phone! ;)
starting yesterday, iphone on airplane mode :)

I hand catch every time, and I realize this is a debate that will never be won by either camp.....

Is it just me? Or does it seem somewhat strange to hand catch with left hand. Switching right hand to left stick to power down motors after catch...hmmm

Damon said:
I hand catch every time, and I realize this is a debate that will never be won by either camp.....

I agree.

I guess anyone can hand catch.
In my case I can land it just fine so I never have to worry about such injuries.

Damon said:

Is it just me? Or does it seem somewhat strange to hand catch with left hand. Switching right hand to left stick to power down motors after catch...hmmm

I'm left handed, and though I rarely hand catch, when I do I use my right hand. I hadn't thought of that until now.
Perhaps it is a subconscious effort to protect my dominant hand from damage?

Damon said:

i lower the quad at about 1.8mt let it hover for 10/15 secs and i grab it with left hand. i never noticed, until you mentioned, that im doing it the wrong way... :shock:

chapsrlz said:
Damon said:

i lower the quad at about 1.8mt let it hover for 10/15 secs and i grab it with left hand. i never noticed, until you mentioned, that im doing it the wrong way... :shock:
I was not calling it wrong. Its just more of a muscle memory thing for me, to rely on throttling down with a my right hand seemed strange. But if you do that, its your way not the wrong way. ;)

Remember under stress muscle memory will kick in before the mind thinks through what to do.

jimandsue60 said:

I do when I have a nice grassy or level landing zone, however I fly regularly at a construction site. It's either dusty or muddy, neither good for landing. I take off often from stacks of cider/cement blocks, none of which are sitting level. Workable for take off, bad for landing.

However when catching, I have glasses on and a hard hat. No protection for the fingers :shock:

I hand-catch about 99% of my Vision+ flights. In fact, only landed it twice on the ground and both times it flipped over and became a lawn-mower wannabe. :?

But I will concede that as we move into the future, the trend will be towards larger multirotors and hand-catching won't be a good option. Unless you're Andre the Giant, who is gonna be able to hand-catch a 3-foot wide octacopter ?? :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie