Battey problem

Reaction score
In one of the posts I read that shelf time for the batteries was low. I did not fly for 2 weeks, and when I got back I tried to charge a battery that I had left charged and it did not light up. I discharged it and it still will hot charge. It is not old enough to be dead. Discharged 16 times % of battery left 95%, Any suggestions?

Are you sure the battery level is below 75% as it will not charge if the battery is higher than this, if so you need to turn the battery on as you would in the phantom, it will then start charging.

jrod1944 said:
Thanks for the comments. I discharged the battery to 8%. I have also tried to turn on the battery, it turns on then goes out again. :(

Do you turn it on like the way you turn in on attached to the phantom?
Ie, tap, release then quickly hold?

Or are you tapping the battery button and checking the status?

mmm....
Going below 8% can damage the battery. Lipos are notorious for this.
Chances that you have overdischarged the battery.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12280
Its a 3 cell battery. 1 of the cells could have failed.
If its under warranty, get it replaced.

How many batteries do you have?
Could be the charger?? is the green light dimming in and out??

Is that battery in or out the bird ?

If you press the button on the battery ones then it show its current capacity ( 4 leds ) and goes out after a few seconds.
What does that show ?

If you press that button, release and quickly press and hold that again it will fire up, no difference in or out the bird.
As its a intelligent battery it knows that there is no consumption of energy and will turn itself back of after a minute or so when its NOT installed in the bird.

You also didn't mention any reference to what the assistant tells you.
In the assistant you find more info concerning the battery.

Mako79 said:
mmm....
Going below 8% can damage the battery.

Dude don't say that... That is not true... DJI manual suggests "discharge battery to below 8% or until battery won't turn on any more" every 20 flights to maintain proper battery health...

8% on the V+ battery is still in the upper 10volt range... It is not a low volt situation... It's just a number on a meter that tells you "you have 8% left before the smart battery shuts itself down to protect itself"

If you are NOT discharging your battery under 8% every so often you are actually helping your battery get old quicker and you aren't getting the flight times you could be getting if you read and understand the owners manual.

DBS said:
Mako79 said:
mmm....
Going below 8% can damage the battery.

Dude don't say that... That is not true... DJI manual suggests "discharge battery to below 8% or until battery won't turn on any more" every 20 flights to maintain proper battery health...

8% on the V+ battery is still in the upper 10volt range... It is not a low volt situation... It's just a number on a meter that tells you "you have 8% left before the smart battery shuts itself down to protect itself"

If you are NOT discharging your battery under 8% every so often you are actually helping your battery get old quicker and you aren't getting the flight times you could be getting if you read and understand the owners manual.

You are correct. I read somewhere and remembered 8. It's 8.4V as stated below.

Intelligent Battery
The intelligent battery is specially designed for the PHANTOM 2, with a battery capacity of 5200mAh, voltage of 11.1V and charge-discharge management functionality. The battery should only be charged with the DJI charger .

Balance Charging:Automatically balance the voltage of each battery cell during charging.
Capacity Display:Display the current battery level.
Communicating:The main controller communicates with the battery via communication ports for battery voltage, capacity, current and other information.
Overcharging Protection:Charging stops automatically when the battery voltage reaches 12.8V to prevent overcharging damage.
Over Discharging Protection:Discharging stops automatically when the battery voltage reaches 8.4Vto prevent over discharging damage.
Short Circuit Protection:Automatically cuts off the power supply when a short circuit is detected.
Sleep Protection:The battery will enter sleep mode after 10 minutes of inactivity to save power. The static current is 10nA in sleep mode when the battery is powered on without connecting to other devices.
Charging Temperature Detection:The battery will charge only when its temperature is within 0℃~55℃. If the battery temperature is out of this range, the battery will stop charging.

Mako79 said:
You are correct. I read somewhere and remembered 8. It's 8.4V as stated below.

Hmmm 8.4V (2.8V per Cell) would already be in the danger zone for LiPo damage. My tests have shown that the P2 Intelli battery shows 0% and cuts off at around 9.6V (3.2V) which is in the safe zone for LiPo batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic