Battery %

Reaction score
Well, I had a scary flight yesterday.
I was flying approx 400m away and approx 90m high and decided that it was time to fly home as the battery was at 30%
Upon rotating to home direction and giving it some throttle the battery percentage dropped right down to 5% !!!
The P2 didnt go in to RTH or Failsafe or anything else, it let me fligh home and land, no problem.
By the time it landed the iosd gave a reading of 0% :?

I am hoping this is a one-off but has anyone else experienced this issue?

Very scary! I wonder if the IOSD was misreporting the true voltage. Certainly when the voltage drops low there isn't enough power to get it in the air so for it to be 5% would be very unusual. Was the drop sudden....i.e. 30% straight to 5%?

I question the acuracy of the IOSD mini - I think there is a delay the further out you get. (at least what I've observed) "Trick" didn't you do the 1.5 convert? I did and my IOSD reads voltage not % - this was battery test I did recently -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fu3CWOSlmw

"ElG.." is resident expert on battery stuff hopefully he'll chime in.

goldfishrock said:
Very scary! I wonder if the IOSD was misreporting the true voltage. Certainly when the voltage drops low there isn't enough power to get it in the air so for it to be 5% would be very unusual. Was the drop sudden....i.e. 30% straight to 5%?

Yes, thats exactly what happend 30% straight to 5%, no in-between reading.

EMCSQUAR said:
I question the acuracy of the IOSD mini - I think there is a delay the further out you get. (at least what I've observed) "Trick" didn't you do the 1.5 convert? I did and my IOSD reads voltage not % - this was battery test I did recently -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fu3CWOSlmw

"ElG.." is resident expert on battery stuff hopefully he'll chime in.

My iosd gives me battery voltage AND %

2trickpony said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Yes, but it appears the OSD computes the percentage from the voltage which isn't as accurate as getting the percentage from the battery controller.

ianwood said:
2trickpony said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Yes, but it appears the OSD computes the percentage from the voltage which isn't as accurate as getting the percentage from the battery controller.

I see, thanks for the heads up Ian.

ianwood said:

That figures! It explains why I don't get to see the battery warning lights until my IOSD is reporting 27% :)

Thanks for clarifying that Ian :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie