Battery

Reaction score
Does anyone know if its better to charge a 40% battery or to use it all the down then charge. This happens when weather turns bad or other reasons and im left with partial battery. Im dont think these batteries develope memory.

glee

Charge it. Never ever fly on less than a fresh charged battery.

Memory is not a concern, but what can happen over repeated mid level charging is a bit of unbalance between the cells. This is correctable by doing a deep,discharge to 8% every 20is cycles.

Sent from the Traveler from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Does anyone know if its better to charge a 40% battery or to use it all the down then charge. This happens when weather turns bad or other reasons and im left with partial battery. Im dont think these batteries develop memory.
As it says in the manual ... only fly with a fully charged battery.
There's no problem charging from any level.

True that the current manual does not continue to instruct on deep cycle of the battery, however it does describe how to discharge to 8% and the web page for the battery still speaks to it. Perhaps DJI needs to be more clear. See attached pic from web page.
059de46919d347d8958eb6d1819f79c8.jpg

If I consume most of the battery during flights I wouldn't be to concerned, however if I were doing repeated mid level charges I would consider it for balancing.

Reactions: G Lee
FYI per DJI support, deep discharge is no longer necessary. You will find it in old manuals. However the latest manual no longer mention this.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If this is per DJI Support, due to the conflicting information - do you have an email from DJI that states this - or was it part of a verbal conversation?

If it was part of an email conversation - could you please post the email containing the statement from DJI? What was the context of the discussion?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

DJI has not addressed this directly. They've simply stopped recommending deep discharges as a maintenance plan and we are left to figure out why. I personally believe it's because they've decided blanket deep discharges cause more harm than good, and are best used when needed rather than done automatically every 20 cycles.

Reactions: yorlik and Traveler
DJI has not addressed this directly. They've simply stopped recommending deep discharges as a maintenance plan and we are left to figure out why. I personally believe it's because they've decided blanket deep discharges cause more harm than good, and are best used when needed rather than done automatically every 20 cycles.

Flipsonic says "per DJI support" (post #5).

That implies that he's had a communication with someone in support that HAS in fact recommended something.

How are you so sure that didn't happen?

I can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bulls a** but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it? I'll email DJI and see if I can get a actual response on this due to flying most my packs to 50% and landing and recharging.

Reactions: yorlik and cfd701
I went back and read many post on this subject and without a doubt, many users said it was needed and likewise many said it was bad. During this I came across one post that I wish I had quoted for this conversation in which the OP suggested that it wasn't a deep cycle that was harmful but how it was done.
What I took away from the post was to discharge slow and not overheat, then allow for the battery to completely cool before the recharge.

Personally I believe that we should all take the time to monitor our batteries for even cell discharging and when or if we see a large deviation it may be time to consider a remedy that only a deep cycle can address.

FYI I chatted with a DJI support rep through the DJI website (on-line support). I specifically asked about the 8% deep discharge procedure. He said "It's no longer required my friend as long as you have the latest FW". If you feel the need to still do it, by all means do it.

Reactions: jogforfitness
If this is per DJI Support, due to the conflicting information - do you have an email from DJI that states this - or was it part of a verbal conversation?

If it was part of an email conversation - could you please post the email containing the statement from DJI? What was the context of the discussion?

Nope, didn't document the chat I had with DJI since I was looking for direction for mysel only. Didn't think I would need to prove it in this forum.

Nope, didn't document the chat I had with DJI since I was looking for direction for mysel only. Didn't think I would need to prove it in this forum.

I'm not trying to suggest that your conversation didn't happen - but if it had occurred via email, it would have been nice to have a copy of it both to see the context and exact wording as well as proof that the advice came from DJI in the event that they deny someone warranty claim in the future by citing "improper battery maintenance".

Last edited:
I'm not trying to suggest that your conversation didn't happen - but if it had occurred via email, it would have been nice to have a copy of it both to see the context and exact wording as well as proof that the advice came from DJI in the event that they deny someone warranty claim in the figure by citing "improper battery maintenance".

Didn't think you were insinuating that at all. Was just making a general comment. [emoji111]

You don't need prove anything to me, you say the conversation happen, then it happened. Your integrity is not my issue. My issue at this point is with DJI's lack of explanation for omitting a prior and very important direction from the pages of their manual. Case in point, if I am not on the latest FW as they informed you then I am still operating correctly, or if I am on the latest FW I am doing it just for fun. This is simply unacceptable for the care and treatment of such a high priced battery.

What I expect and deserve is an explanation in the manual that would read like this.
Note: All reference to deep cycling batteries in not applicable for firmware at or above X.

This is especially true when you consider that some of their other documentation continues to state it as a requirement. And to make it worse, they leave in:

How to discharge your Intelligent Flight Battery:
Slow : Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Phantom 3 Professional’s Battery Compartment and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.
Rapid : Fly the Phantom 3 Professional outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no longer be turned on.

This morning I have sent them an email on this question and if they reply I will post their response here. Honestly, I hope we no longer need to deep cycle, but either way they need to due better with communicating change.

Cheers

All good info guys , bottom line just want to protect the invest. Thx sirs

glee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic