Battery w/8 charge cycles defective?

Reaction score
I've seen the various threads with early auto-land, and swollen batteries, but I'm not sure if mine qualifies.

I bought my Phantom Vision + from Drone Pros in July of 2014. I have less than 10 cycles on the two batteries that came with the unit. One of them still works like new. The other shows great stats until I put it under any load. It'll drop from 100% to 2% in < 3 min of flying.

As soon as I go full-throttle with 100%, the Vision app blares the low battery alarm, the battery icon shows ZERO, but the percentage is still 90+. Within a minute or two, the percentage drops like a rock.

I've run the battery down, recharged, and have the same symptoms. I've attached screen shots to show the suspect battery.

When I press on the grey part of the battery it feels puffy compared to the good battery.

I've reached out to the dealer, but have not heard back yet.

Attachments

• Vision bad battery full.jpg
    Vision bad battery full.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 441
  • Vision bad battery empty.jpg
    Vision bad battery empty.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 470
Have you checked the battery log for faults on the phone app presuming you have the latest
battery firmware ?

Also, when installing new battery firmware, keep in mind that you need to manually install the firmware updates one-at-time if you have more than one battery. After updating the first battery, close the Phantom Assistant software, insert the next battery, power up your Phantom, open the Phantom Assistant software, update the firmware, etc.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't know the batteries had firmware - or that it could updated. Do you guys have a simple primer on how that works?

Never mind - thanks guys - I found the update link in the NAZA app. Batteries are updating now. I'll report results back here when I get time to retest.

So, with the updated firmware in both batteries, it didn't take but a minute or two for the one swollen battery to register an error...

At least there's something concrete I can give the dealer and DJI.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-04-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-04-39.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 432
  • Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-11-15.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-07-20-11-15.png
    378.5 KB · Views: 449
The swollen battery issue is apparently caused by storing full batteries for long period of time. Since you had less than 10 cycles on your batteries over the last 6 months, it sounds like this might explain what happened.

While this doesn't help now, the latest battery firmware includes a feature that will auto discharge batteries to a safe level if stored for 10+ days with a full charge. So, you should definitely make sure your battery has the latest firmware installed when you get it replaced.

I figured as much, and will take my lumps accordingly. I'm glad to see they addressed this in the firmware. I'd rather have to charge a 50% battery the day I need it, than chance ruining a $130 battery that I stored full. Both of the batteries have been stored full for about 3 months. Lesson learned.

Well, I heard back from the seller (Drone Experts on Amazon) and from DJI directly. DE said their hands are tied because of the three-month DJI warranty, but they suggested I reach out to DJI to see if they'd work with me given the low cycles.

DJI said to pound sand.

Jamie Dyer (DJI Technology)
Dec 09 17:10

Dear Eric,

Thank you for contacting DJI North America. Since the battery has surpassed its 3 month warranty, we would be unable to assist in regards to repair or replacement. At this time refreshing the firmware update would be the only solution that is available. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Oh well. Now the dilemma. Should I spend another $130 to get a potentially defective battery and cross my fingers, or are there alternatives? Really does put a sour taste in my mouth over DJI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20