Battery to blame…

I just got the tradecraft case for my phantom 2....they have slots to hold the batteries, but they won't hold a battery in a fireproof bag...so I am wondering, do you guys put your batteries for your Phantom 2 in a fireproof bag at all times when you are not flying? or do you consider it safe to transport them in your phantom2 case without a fireproof bag? and just use the fireproof bags for overnight or longer storage?

fyi, I don't leave the batteries unattended while charging and don't store them in my P2 when not flying.

CouesWhitetail said:
I just got the tradecraft case for my phantom 2....they have slots to hold the batteries, but they won't hold a battery in a fireproof bag...so I am wondering, do you guys put your batteries for your Phantom 2 in a fireproof bag at all times when you are not flying? or do you consider it safe to transport them in your phantom2 case without a fireproof bag? and just use the fireproof bags for overnight or longer storage?

fyi, I don't leave the batteries unattended while charging and don't store them in my P2 when not flying.

no need to transport the batteries in fireproof bags.. like any lipo they need to be handled with care... only need fireproof bags for charging and most cases of one going up in flames is because the charge rate was set incorrectly from a multi charger, this isn't an issue with the PV charger as its plug n go...

Attachments

• bats.jpg
    bats.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 456
Never even thought about getting a battery bag for charging, but this is an excellent idea. What is the best place to find out if they have been well tested ? I know for power supplies and stuff you want to find ones that are UL listed. Is there an equivalent for these kinds tests ?

Military surplus ammo cans with a little hole drilled in them work well enough for charging,cheap enough to buy a few to keep them seperated etc. Keep in mind companys around the world keep lipos in stock inside giant warehouses without issue. Its when there damaged or charged incorrectly it becomes a problem.Still though i like to have peace of mind when i need to leave the house for a bit with a lipo on charge so i like the cans.

Keep in mind oxygen is fuel for the fire... whatever the container, if it leaks O2 there will be fire. Even though automatic chargers are "automatic" I still only charge LiPo's when I'm around. I also keep fire extinguishers handy. If you transport a lot of batteries in a hot climate, car trunk/boot, case, etc... You might consider packing them in a fire-bags inside a mini-cooler (as in beverage cooler). Also consider packing a mini-extinguisher in your kit, these items are all relatively inexpensive.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj