Battery Temperature

Reaction score
I recently bought a Phantom 3 Standard, in the summer I would like to fly it out at this large park. I would be staying in a camper and no power. Sometimes the temperature gets up to over 100 F. And the average daytime temperature is 80-90 F. How can I keep the battery cool?

I recently bought a Phantom 3 Standard, in the summer I would like to fly it out at this large park. I would be staying in a camper and no power. Sometimes the temperature gets up to over 100 F. And the average daytime temperature is 80-90 F. How can I keep the battery cool?

those yeti ice chests. take battery with you, you might get lucky and they fit in the mug.

Welcome!

Its a great thought to worry about keeping your batteries cool, but I haven't seen many posts here about it being a big problem. I have however seen many posts about mobile devices overheating and shutting down or lagging when flying in hot climates. Especially the older or underpowered devices. Of course there will always be posts saying, "I fly in 125F / 52C all day long with no problems!" Even so, my guess is that you'd run into a heat problem with your mobile device well before you'd run into a battery problem.

Just something to keep in mind in the summer when the temps go up in your area.

[Note that I am not saying to disregard battery care. Please of course become familiar with best practices and make your choices accordingly]

Last edited:
Reactions: MyGivenName
Welcome!

Its a great thought to worry about keeping your batteries cool, but I haven't seen many posts here about it being a big problem. I have however seen many posts about mobile devices overheating and shutting down or lagging when flying in hot climates. Especially the older or underpowered devices. Of course there will always be posts saying, "I fly in 125F / 52C all day long with no problems!" Even so, my guess is that you'd run into a heat problem with your mobile device before you'd run into a battery problem.

Just something to keep in mind in the summer when the temps go up in your area.

[Note that I am not saying to disregard battery care. Please of course become familiar with best practices and make your choices accordingly]

Thank you for the input. So I should be fine just leaving the battery out of direct sunlight, even if the ambient air temperature is about 85F?

Thank you for the input. So I should be fine just leaving the battery out of direct sunlight, even if the ambient air temperature is about 85F?
For that specific case, yes for sure. I do it routinely here in the Sacramento area with hot summers.

Also 104 deg F is the design limit for max ambient. Battery temp rise goes above the ambient and could be definitely risky to operate above that ambient.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4