Battery short term storage.

Reaction score
When I've completed a P3A flight and battery voltage is below 30% and I don't intend flying again for perhaps another 5-7 days, should I be partially recharging to between 50-65% to store the battery, prior to a full charge before the next flight?

I wouldn’t leave them below 30 percent for long or make a habit out of it. But a day or two shouldn’t be too critical. I like to charge mine back up to about 50 percent for sitting in between flights. I’m sure everyone has their own particular way of doing it, this is just how I have handle all kind of lipos over the years with very good success.

When I've completed a P3A flight and battery voltage is below 30% and I don't intend flying again for perhaps another 5-7 days, should I be partially recharging to between 50-65% to store the battery, prior to a full charge before the next flight?
Yes store to between 50-65% and full charge on fly day. I use the dji charging hub and it works good for auto storage values as you don't have to keep your eyes on your batteries to assure the proper storage charge.

30% level is fine ... less than 30% is not recc'd because the pack will slowly reduce while stored.

Personally - I think this 50% charge thing is a crock of ****** ..... better to set battery auto discharge via GO to 2 - 3 days and then charge up fully after flight. Then store. After set time battery will start auto discharge - which takes about 2 days ...
So it you fly every 5 - 7 days ... that's fine. You just take your battery and charge it before flight.

Keep it simple .... no need for making if more than it needs.

Nigel

Would that approach increase the number of charge cycles ‘artificially’ and end up giving a high reading? It seems eminently simple to use if it doesn’t

Actually I'm keeping phantom batteries as I've done for hubsan lipos before: charge them after every flight, fully if I suppose to fly again in a short while (less than 10 days), 50% if I think I will not fly for longer while!
I have never had issues nor experienced reduced performance of any of my batteries and some of my H501SS lipos have been charged a lot of times!

Would that approach increase the number of charge cycles ‘artificially’ and end up giving a high reading? It seems eminently simple to use if it doesn’t

Charge cycles are based on full charge amounts .... so each charge actually increments by a partial amount ...

This could easily mean a 200cycle number equal more than 400 - 500 flights depending how low you take your batterys in flight.
It is also debatable as to whether the quoted 200 life cycle actually stops battery use ... acccording to DJI Tech info given to me -200 cycles does not stop the battery still working as normal.

Nigel

Reactions: Psycho Andy
Charge cycles are based on full charge amounts .... so each charge actually increments by a partial amount ...

This could easily mean a 200cycle number equal more than 400 - 500 flights depending how low you take your batterys in flight.
It is also debatable as to whether the quoted 200 life cycle actually stops battery use ... acccording to DJI Tech info given to me -200 cycles does not stop the battery still working as normal.

Nigel
Thank you so much that really is helpful.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj