Battery redo?

Reaction score
So I just read where you should charge up 100% and discharge to 50% for the first 5 - 10 flights. I have three batteries and I've probably flown 5 times on each battery and discharged them to about 25%. Basically I land when it tells me to. Can I start the process aforementioned or has that ship sailed?

I've done the same thing and my health on the batteries is fine. I've recharged dozens and dozens of times and I'm still at 100% health and 99% health. So for me it worked out great.

Though I have read where it is good to run it down to 8% on normal flights for the health of the battery but I can never get it to actually fly up to that point. I turn off all the battery restrictions and it still will only fly to about 18%. It acts like there's no juice left in it.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the prompt response. However, should I start the process of running down to 50% or at this point not a big deal..or too late?

However, should I start the process of running down to 50% or at this point not a big deal..or too late?

Not aware of the 50% process you mentioned. Only aware of the DJI 20th cycle process. DJI does recommend every 20-cycles to fully discharge the pack and recharge - this is not to do with the chemistry of the battery but is related to the circuit in the pack - the "smart" part of the pack.

I think the short answer to your question is "no big deal" keep on doing what your doing and enjoy it. Remember batteries are a consumable item.

FYI on my EDF planes - I land those typically before the battery cells are between 3.5 and 3.6v but that driven from the fact the battery is hot from the high amperage draw not so much remaining capacity standpoint. Remember heat and low voltage are the enemy of LiPos.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not aware of the 50% process you mentioned. Only aware of the DJI 20th cycle process. DJI does recommend every 20-cycles to fully discharge the pack and recharge - this is not to do with the chemistry of the battery but is related to the circuit in the pack - the "smart" part of the pack.

I think the short answer to your question is "no big deal" keep on doing what your doing and enjoy it. Remember batteries are a consumable item.

FYI on my EDF planes - I land those typically before the battery cells are between 3.5 and 3.6v but that driven from the fact the battery is hot from the high amperage draw not so much remaining capacity standpoint. Remember heat and low voltage are the enemy of LiPos.

Do you have an on-board battery monitor on your planks? Or do you just keep records and have a good idea when it's time to land?

Do you have a link to where DJI suggests and describes the 20th Cycle Rundown to 8%? I've seen it mentioned many many times on this forum and many others but have yet to see it "Official" if that makes sense.

By the way GREAT battery write-up on that other post. Well done.

Do you have a link to where DJI suggests and describes the 20th Cycle Rundown to 8%?
On the 3rd page of the DJI Phantom 3 Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines v1.0
2nd paragraph

http://download.dji-innovations.com...igent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf

Do you have an on-board battery monitor on your planks? Or do you just keep records and have a good idea when it's time to land?
Timed - after a few flights and checking the batteries on the ground - you get an idea for how long and hard you can push it before its time to land. (I don't what to highjack the post with plane info - shoot me a PM if you want to know more)

By the way GREAT battery write-up on that other post. Well done.

Reactions: BigAl07
Timed - after a few flights and checking the batteries on the ground - you get an idea for how long and hard you can push it before its time to land. (I don't what to highjack the post with plane info - shoot me a PM if you want to know more)
Thanks. I've been flying 40yrs I was just wondering if you were using a monitor or testing and noting. All good info :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl