Battery recommendations

Reaction score
I have one battery - the one that came with my DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I've seen a lot of 3rd party batteries on Amazon and elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations?

In my personal experience i would stay away from Powerextra batteries. FlyHi makes a good battery that functions exactly like OEM and is trustworthy IMO. They look slightly different but work very well. See pic in next post.

Reactions: Nakedmeeple
Top is OEM Dji and bottom is FlyHi.
15872171850405114834061036263105.jpg

It clicks in exactly the same as the OEM battery. Other than the different lights its identical in every way.
Ok thanks I had a couple knockoffs that were not very good and no click was the method we used for quick I'd of cheap ones....thanks again.....

I have 3 PowerExtra batteries and have not had a single problem with any of them. They are all about 3 years old and the 2 oldest ones have over 100 charges on them. They are my primary flight batteries. There are mixed reviews of them on Amazon so I guess it can be hit and miss whether you get a good one.

My original DJI battery has a bit of swelling so I have retired it. I may check out a FlyHi one to replace it.

Good luck.

Chris

I have one battery - the one that came with my DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I've seen a lot of 3rd party batteries on Amazon and elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations?
I’ve got 4 batteries for my p3 2 we’re with it and 2 I got on line been flying 2 yrs now haven’t had a problem yet. I replace and charge once their at 1 bar

Reactions: Jim Canada
I strongly recommend using only OEM batteries on any drone. We've had a lot of stories at Drone U about people using aftermarket drones and regretting it.

It's just not worth the chance just to save a few bucks.

A classic example of penny wise and pound (dollar) foolish.

Reactions: gppms
I strongly recommend using only OEM batteries on any drone. We've had a lot of stories at Drone U about people using aftermarket drones and regretting it.

Definitely can't argue with that point. I still trust my OEM battery more than my others and it's the only one I use on long over water flights, even tho its the oldest with the most use. Unfortunately, trying to find a new OEM P3 battery is like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow these days. For us diehard P3 pilots we simply have no other choices these days but to use 3rd party batteries.

I would have to disagree. While not all aftermarket batteries are high quality, some are. As I mentioned above, I have 4 batteries for my P3S - one is the original that came with the AC and the other 3 are PowerExtra. I have retired my original DJI battery as it has started to swell a bit. All of the PowerExtra batteries are still in use, and two are just as old as the DJI one and have the same amount of charges (over 100). There have been no major deviations in any cells in my PowerExtra batteries.

I also have 4 Spark batteries that are all DJI batteries and are just over 2 years old. One has been retired because the button doesn’t work when the battery heats up in flight and I am about to retire a second because I am getting consistent major deviations in one of the cells even after a deep cycle.

From my experiences with aftermarket batteries, I would say they have been just as reliable as my DJI batteries and in some cases even more reliable.

Obviously if you do your research on aftermarket batteries, buy from a seller that allows returns, and have checked user feedback you should be ok.

Chris

Batteries slowly discharge, their chemical composition means that once their voltage drops below about 3v per cell, they cannot be recharged. So keep them charged as other members suggest. Remember that over time their chemical composition also degenerates so they will not last forever (unfortunately)

The only battery I have is OEM, but I feel like I want to buy one or two more. It almost feels prohibitive to go out for a flight when you have one battery. 20 minutes of flight time is pretty limiting on fun.

...but I don't see any place online where you can buy OEM batteries for the P3.

These are available on Amazon and I can confirm they function perfectly and identically to OEM batteries. I have one myself.
Screenshot_20200509-075105_Amazon Shopping.jpg

These are available on Amazon and I can confirm they function perfectly and identically to OEM batteries. I have one myself.
Oh, I'm willing to buy the FlyHi's. I'm just trying to confirm if there's a place to buy the OEM's.

Oh, I'm willing to buy the FlyHi's. I'm just trying to confirm if there's a place to buy the OEM's.
Not that I'm aware of. Dji stopped production quite some time ago so good luck in finding a new OEM battery anywhere. You can't get them from DJI.

Yeah, that's been my impression. @mossphotography above was talking about only using OEM batteries, though.
I agree that OEM are the best and safest but as I've said, they can no longer be found so our next best bet is to use a known reliable 3rd party battery. And they are out there. I'm not ready to retire my P3P simply because OEM batteries are no longer available.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31