Battery Question

Reaction score
I went flying over the past weekend and have about one or two bars left on my two batteries. I will be out of town for the next two weeks and was wondering best practice for charging/storing/draining my batteries if no use for 2-3 weeks. FYI - I set both my batteries to discharge after 5 days (not sure if that is best choice). The info I have received from this site has been invaluable for a new Phantom flier. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Somewhere around 50% is best for storage.
You could charge them up till they are around 50% and the auto discharge feature will adjust that back if you go over.

Charge them up and set discharge to one day job done

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How do you set the batteries to discharge ?

How do you set the batteries to discharge ?
You can change that setting in the "Aircraft Battery" section of DJI GO. Keep in mind that you'll need to change this setting for each battery since the setting is stored on the battery itself.

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

Reactions: Bigs
Keep in mind, if you want to change the discharge time you need to start up _each_ battery in the P3 and make that same change. So if you have 3 batteries you will be changing that setting 3 times.

You don't have to worry about changing or setting the discharge time as the default setting should be good enough. Or even if you have set it to 10 days, it's ok. You can leave them in backpack or case along with phantom. Discharging heat is low and no risk of heating up nearby items.

However it may be good if you leave them in a safe place away from direct sun exposure, away from inflammable materials and sage on a stable surface with no chance of falling down. Nothing usually happens but if you have fireproof bags, use them for storing these batteries.

One last question... After you fly, do you charge your batteries immediately?

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

After you fly, do you charge your batteries immediately?
If your batteries are below 30% charged after flying, you should at least charge them up until the 3rd battery light starts blinking. Otherwise, it's perfectly safe to store them as-is between 30%-65% charged.

Roaddog let them cool in cool open air for 30-45 minutes before you charge them is best practice.

This is just me but I have never done anything to my batteries other than charge them to 100% before I fly..
I have 3 batteries with way over 50 flights on each and never an issue.
Just saying.

I was starting to wonder - often I want to fly at short notice and assumed that the batteries would hold their charge for some considerable time once fully charged ???

I was starting to wonder - often I want to fly at short notice and assumed that the batteries would hold their charge for some considerable time once fully charged ???

I do this short notice thing too. Not talking long term storage. Just can't fly for 3,4,5 days because of weather or opportunity.
After last flight, I charge them up until 3 bars are lit. (75%) Then it doesn't take too long to charge to full right before you need them.

Think Im missing something here - if you charge them to 100% or 75% - and they are set to discharge over a period of days - when you need them they will need charging - so if you get an opportunity to fly at short notice the batteries are no good? I am no DIY expert - but I changed to a Lithium Ion battery drill as I can charge it and leave it - sometimes for weeks - and when I need it it works - how come these batteries won't hold their charge?

how come these batteries won't hold their charge?
By design, they have a function that will auto discharge them down to 65% after not in use for 10 days (or whatever the setting was changed to in DJI GO).

That answers the what but not the why? In times when everyone seems to be designing batteries to run longer and give more power - why choose to have batteries discharge themselves? What is the reason for this?

Sorry to labour this point, but again when manufacturers the world over - from Duracell to Tesla - are producing battery power that is sustainable and holds charge for extensive periods why would DJI produce a battery that can't hold its charge safely?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20