Battery Question

Reaction score
I apologize if this could have been answered by using the search feature...say you own four batteries. If you do not use all four in one flying session (say only two) is it best to recharge the two you used and use them first the next time to avoid adding cycles to batteries 3 and 4? I realize #3 and #4 will discharge after ten days.

Thanks.

I wouldn't recharge them unless you plan to use them. So let's say you charged all four and only used 1&2. I would leave those alone and use 3&4 the next time.

I always try to balance mine out so they wear evenly. That's just a personal preference though.

Thanks for the replies. I guess it wouldn't make too much difference. I rarely use all four in one session but I like having all four ready to go. Just trying to determine how to extend overall battery life.

Question -

I've read posted that the Lipo battery will automatically shut off when the voltage of any particular cell gets to 3.0 volts. But this is in regards to the 4S P3 batteries, right? Is it possible that the older technology 3S P2V batteries would shut off sooner?

I've read posted that the Lipo battery will automatically shut off when the voltage of any particular cell gets to 3.0 volts. But this is in regards to the 4S P3 batteries, right? Is it possible that the older technology 3S P2V batteries would shut off sooner?

When you mention shutting off, this only applies to when they are in use. When they are sitting around it's inherent that the battery will slowly lose it's charge even without use. So to be clear, a battery that is just sitting around will always slowly lose a charge. Over a long period of time it would eventually go down to "0" and may not be able to be recharged. There is also a "critical" state as reported by a flying app. This is not a "0" charge. It's around 10%.. or you may be correct, around 3v.

I'm not sure what it was for the P2 batteries. I'm kind of assuming it was still 3v.

Reactions: Falcon900
A friend having Phantom 2 puts the batteries in a fridge for long-term storage because he has heard that they last longer that way. Is there any truth in that?

In the Battery section of the Go app, you can find number of charge times and other pertinent info. I hope @dji will bring back, the Battery Life parameter.

RedHotPoker

I'll just throw this in here too...

I have retired my first battery this morning.

It had absolutely no swelling at all and had 31 cycles total. I had checked the cells at full charge and the low one was 200 mw from the next lowest. That's too much. So I did the deep discharge all the way down to 3% and all the way back up. It seemed to repair the bad cell somewhat - now it was only 100 mw from the next lowest (my understanding is it should be less than 70 mw). But also the mAh dropped by about 100. So I figure I should retire it. But first, just for fun, I'll deep discharge it again - maybe it'll repair it some more and bring it within acceptable range? So I did and there was no change - still 100 mw off - EXCEPT that the mAh once again dropped by an additional 100 mAh. So I'm putting this baby to rest.

Which is sad because it still shows 90% life left.

Why not Use it for SIM play... Haha
You still might crash, but this way, it will be fun...

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr