Battery question

Reaction score
Just uploaded flight to healthy drones and noticed one of my batteries has all of cell 1 highlighted in red does this mean there could be a problem with it

Attachments

• 1446583621820.jpg
    1446583621820.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 408
Hi,

Although is not a problem NOW, the battery will die prematurely, so if it is new, I recommend you to ask for an exchange...

Thanks for reply its been charged around 50 times it seems to charge OK and flight time is still good only thought there could be a problem when I noticed the red warning on healthy drones

A new Lipo is much cheaper than a new P3P.

I would try discharging down to 30% and do a full charge, this should balance the cells. If it still is .1v different it is time to retire it.

I always see .1v deviation in any cell after balancing as a NO-GO. If I can't get it below .05 I would consider retiring, .01 is normal.

I always fly until batteries are around 20% .,.so going off the healthy drones data do you guys think this battery is a risk to carry on using?

I always fly until batteries are around 20% .,.so going off the healthy drones data do you guys think this battery is a risk to carry on using?
Have you ever tried to deepcycle the battery as recommended by DJI to recalibrate the "Smart Battery" If you haven't

Fly it down to 20 %. Take the battery out and let it cool. Take the props off the P3, set it on the bench, power it up, and let it idle and take the battery down to 8%. After the battery is cool, put it on the charger and fully charge it. This should get the battery back in balance and correct any cell calibration issues the Smart Battery circuitry may be experiencing. I would bet that you will wind up with a good cell balance for the battery. DJI recommends this deep recycle every 20 uses. That is not set in stone-- so it could be anything from 20 to 50.
I done it on two of my five batteries and they are in very good condition with good cell balance.

I also try to never fly below 30%, going down to 20 on a consistent basis is pushing the envelop for cell damage that will occur when the battery is consistently flown at full load down to low voltages.

No I will give give this a go through bob thanks for that info I will let you know how i get on

Dumb question but when you say "let it idle" you mean actually let the motors spin, right? It's ok to let them run with no props on?

Also, are people really discharging their batteries when not flying for more than a couple days? I never really know when I might fly and this seems like a waste of charge cycles of these very expensive batteries.

Dumb question but when you say "let it idle" you mean actually let the motors spin, right? It's ok to let them run with no props on?

Also, are people really discharging their batteries when not flying for more than a couple days? I never really know when I might fly and this seems like a waste of charge cycles of these very expensive batteries.
I do I discharge mine to 50-60% these batteries hate being at 100%

Thanks. So I guess the theory is that the discharge cycles are less harmful to battery life than leaving them at 100%. How do you know that the batteries "hate" 100%? I've done some research into this technology but just came away confused.

Yes idle with the motors spinning . Do a csc to start the motors and remember props off and always let your battery cool off before charging like mr. Bob Said.

Reactions: bobmyers
I had a battery (1 of 4, and the originally that shipped with my P3P) show similar signs of cell imbalance.

I did a deep discharge, to about 8%, and a recharge to 100%. Since then, only a slight imbalance has remained. Think it has 30 or so cycles on it.

Im still a little tentative with it, and use it for my "first flight of the day" which is usually a shorter scout/test run to make sure everything is working as expected before getting into the fun stuff.

Ive found that range is slightly reduced over my other batteries, so I usually don't use it for long range or full-UAS flights.

Is what it is. In a perfect world, I'd probably ditch it for another new battery, but since I almost always do my "short test flight" first anyway, I've worked it into my flight plans.

Agree with Saleh Penhos,, if the battery less than 6 months, then contact DJI and send it back for replacement, I did send my issue battery to DJI, and just get an email today that, the replacement battery is on the way to me with Fedex tracking number ( just take about 7 days to get this response from DJI. Also thank to heatthydrones.com, I print out the battery analize and send it with the issue battery, this may help speedy the process)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj