Battery Question - 6000mAh!

Reaction score
With all of the accessories I have loaded on to my Phantom (CM2000, FPV Transmitter), my flight times with the stock batteries are about 4-5 minutes. I picked up a large Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 25~50C Lipo Battery (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20681) and strapped it on the Phantom and I'm now up to around 12 minutes of flight time.

One thing I've noticed is that after about 9-10 minutes the Phantom doesn't have the same ability to accelerate back up quickly/easily. I am not showing a low battery light at that time and everything else seems normal.

Does this have to do with lower battery voltage and just not having enough juice, or the "C" rating (50 Burst should be more than enough) or something else?

For anyone who is interested in a larger battery, this one has almost 3 times the capacity as a stock battery and the additional weight doesn't affect the performance too much when balanced in the center. I had to strap it on to the bottom of the landing gear. I also had to solder a different power connector on the unit.

That's a heavy battery! I got one of these to try:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... %20turnigy

Turnigy A-Spec, 4500 mah at only 278 grams. It's a little longer, but will fit down below on my carbon fiber battery holder. Expensive, but it should give a good boost in flight time. I won't be home to try it out for a while. Has anyone else tried it?

A higher capacity battery of the same (3s) voltage has nothing to do with the current drawn by the electronics. These batteries just provide longer running time at a given current. They will not fry the esc's.

Only 278g is amazing for a 4500!

I might have to try one on my F450.

surprisetv11 said:
With all of the accessories I have loaded on to my Phantom (CM2000, FPV Transmitter), my flight times with the stock batteries are about 4-5 minutes. I picked up a large Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 25~50C Lipo Battery (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=20681) and strapped it on the Phantom and I'm now up to around 12 minutes of flight time.
One thing I've noticed is that after about 9-10 minutes the Phantom doesn't have the same ability to accelerate back up quickly/easily. I am not showing a low battery light at that time and everything else seems normal.
Have you found the cause of the problem after 9-10 min. flight?
I also need significantly prolong my flight configuration (also around 5-6 minutes), your idea with larger battery capacities impressed me ...

Not yet. I'm trying the battery that was mentioned in this thread (Arrives today) to see if that makes a difference. The capacity is less, but the weight is also about half that of the other battery. May balance itself out. This battery also has a higher "C" value and I'll see how that reacts after 10 minutes of flying time.

It's normal near the end of a flight for a battery to not provide the crisp response it had at the beginning. I know this from flying electric helis and it 's no different with a quad copter.

A 50C rating is the battery's ability to provide a continuous flow of current at that rate. The burst specification is typically higher but cannot be sustained.

Nine to ten minutes loaded is pretty good. Usually going to a heavier battery with more capacity doesn't provide that much of an increase in flying time.

surprisetv11 said:

Does this have to do with lower battery voltage and just not having enough juice, or the "C" rating (50 Burst should be more than enough) or something else?

For anyone who is interested in a larger battery, this one has almost 3 times the capacity as a stock battery and the additional weight doesn't affect the performance too much when balanced in the center. I had to strap it on to the bottom of the landing gear. I also had to solder a different power connector on the unit.

Could you upload a picture of the way you strap the battery to the landing gear?
And the flying time keeps 12 minutes? Thats great, because I have the same conf. and 4-5 minutes are.....well, you know!!

surprisetv11 said:

Could you upload a picture of the way you strap the battery to the landing gear?
And the flying time keeps 12 minutes? Thats great, because I have the same conf. and 4-5 minutes are.....well, you know!!

s0crates said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but has anyone tried the battery bas4241 suggested?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... %20turnigy

Reviews are a bit mixed so just wondering if this would be a good purchase...

I will be buying 2-3 zippy compacts anyway:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

(Comes down to $16 if you leave the site open for a while ;) )

I've posted a few times about it, I'm not a big fan of the Zippy Compacts. I have two 2200s combined into a 4400mah pack. It's light, but has nowhere near the real-world mah or the C rating of the stock DJI 2200s. With few exceptions, you're generally not going to get the same power in a significantly lighter/smaller package.

ElGuano said:
I've posted a few times about it, I'm not a big fan of the Zippy Compacts. I have two 2200s combined into a 4400mah pack. It's light, but has nowhere near the real-world mah or the C rating of the stock DJI 2200s. With few exceptions, you're generally not going to get the same power in a significantly lighter/smaller package.

Yea well for some reason it didn't add them to the cart when the "one time offer" came up, so I'll be getting the good old 2200 45-90 turnigys:

Already own 2 of those and they are fine. I do want to have 2 in parallel, but I don't feel like giving the phantom any more weight to carry, already at 1,15kg (1 battery, tarot/gopro, downlink).

What is your opinion on the 4500mah in my first link?

When I first got my Phantom, while flying "naked" (no gopro, gimbal, propguards, etc) I'd get around 15 mins per charge which I thought was great!

My Phantom is somewhat loaded now with a GoPro Hero3+ Black, a 2 axis gimbal (powered off the stock battery), and stock propellers with DJI prop guards.

As it stands now, I'm getting at most 7 mins of flying time, 5 when flying aggressive. I have two 2200 stock batteries I carry with me at all times. I'm thinking of adding a 2800 battery or 2 to my collection.

s0crates said:
ElGuano said:

Yea well for some reason it didn't add them to the cart when the "one time offer" came up, so I'll be getting the good old 2200 45-90 turnigys:

Already own 2 of those and they are fine. I do want to have 2 in parallel, but I don't feel like giving the phantom any more weight to carry, already at 1,15kg (1 battery, tarot/gopro, downlink).

The specs and price are fine, the dimensions are super awkward. 150x44x20 means you're strapping it to the bottom. Plus you'll need another
15-25g either cutting the bullets and soldering longer wires close to the tabs and adding an xt60, or you buy/build some kind of wire harness. If you're experienced working with batteries that's no problem but there's a DIY component involved.

ElGuano said:
s0crates said:

The specs and price are fine, the dimensions are super awkward. 150x44x20 means you're strapping it to the bottom. Plus you'll need another
15-25g either cutting the bullets and soldering longer wires close to the tabs and adding an xt60, or you buy/build some kind of wire harness. If you're experienced working with batteries that's no problem but there's a DIY component involved.

I just took a look at the link, and that's the same battery I bought last week to test with my P1->P2 upgrade project. My final verdict is just like ElGuano stated...unfortunately it's just not practical for use on the Phantom. Which is unfortunate due to the attractive weight/capacity ratio. You could make it work, but the compromises and accommodations you'd have to make probably wouldn't be worth it. However, if you ever build an F450/550 or something similar, it could be a great option.

OI Photography said:
ElGuano said:
s0crates said:

I just took a look at the link, and that's the same battery I bought last week to test with my P1->P2 upgrade project. My final verdict is just like ElGuano stated...unfortunately it's just not practical for use on the Phantom. Which is unfortunate due to the attractive weight/capacity ratio. You could make it work, but the compromises and accommodations you'd have to make probably wouldn't be worth it. However, if you ever build an F450/550 or something similar, it could be a great option.

Yes strapping it to the bottom was what I had in mind, but on the other hand strap it where.. It should go on one side and that makes you want to have another one on the other side for balance (and 9000 why not)...

JaysDMC same here, 5 minutes and I prepare for landing just to be safe. I already have 6 batteries (4x 2200, 2x 2700 black magic) and thinking about getting 2 more because I need them for what I do, but perhaps I'll give this 4500 one a go, just to entertain my curiosity.

I have seen some video about poor quality construction of the nano tech batteries in comparison with just the regular turnigy batteries that could be the issue I would try something else

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1