Battery Quesiton

Reaction score
I pretty much run them down to 30% most times.

Is charging a battery up from 50% detrimental at all?

Only if you do it over and over again all the time without ever draining all the way... DJI manual suggests draining the battery to under 8% or until it won't turn on ... Every 20 cycles or so to keep battery healthy

I personally do it more often and it has increased my flight times by a decent amount :ugeek:

yet another battery thread :)
LiPo batteries do not have a "memory" effect so partial charge or discharge is not an issue.
A partial charge of around 50-80% is recommended If you expect that you don't use your battery for some time since a fully charged LiPo looses capacity faster than a partially charged one over time. Keeping them cool is also said to reduce capacity loss over time but make sure to let them warm up before use.
No matter what a LiPo will lose capacity over time and with each full charge cycle. The DJI recommended below 8% discharge every 20 or so charges is there to allow the "intelligent" part of the battery relearn the currently available capacity so that the battery level can be displayed correctly. The lower the discharge the more accurate the available capacity measurement will be. I made some discharge/charge tests with my P2 batteries and the cell voltage limits of the "battery intelligence" are in accordance to standard LiPo chargers out there, 100% charge at 4.2V/cell, 0%/cut off at 3.2V/cell.
A note for those with "overkill" tendencies: If DJI recommends the deeper discharge every 20 cycles or so it doesn't mean that doing it every single time is even better. Full discharges on a LiPo are said to be more detrimental to capacity/battery life than partial discharges are.
Another note for those that replace the DJI charging power supply with another higher amp output one: My tests have shown that the battery intelligent charging circuit doesn't seem to limit the charge rate to 1C (5.2A) thus the use of higher amp power bricks could be detrimental to battery life.

Interesting comments Panamon Creel - Owning the phantom has educated me somewhat on batteries - $160 a pop I want to know all I need to know. I have read some of the manual regarding this, just wasn't sure about charging from 50 up. I generally take then down to 30% because I'm still needing to learn as much as I can.

Eventually I will reach a point where I will up the drone, take my shot and go home. It is in these situations I wonder on how to approach when to charge a 505 or 60% battery over just going back out with a 50% battery and taking it down to 30% - I'm thinking it's not good to do too often is all.

It's good that I can use the software assist to see how many times its been charged - that's a huge weight of my mind.

What is the easiest way draining the batteries manually from fully charged down to 50-80% when you know you won't be using them for a while?

And also, for how long is it "safe" to have you batteries laying around fully charged? I've heard everything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj