battery not putting out voltage but showing fully charged

Reaction score
battery shows fully charged but when i check with multimeter it shows zero this battery only has maybe 8 - 9 charges on it... i suspect the smart board is bad... what can i do? i bought this battery on ebay new and its definitely genuine can i warranty it? if not can i fix it?

So, you put it into your Phantom and it does not turn on? I read that if you did not buy it from DJI they will not warranty it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

well ****.... truth be told i was discharging the battery and accidentally crossed the two leads just for a second and the battery turned off... it will turn on but no voltage comes out of the headers... feel really stupid and since they wont warranty it i guess i will open it up as the battery itself is likely fine just the smart board i fried ... is there a part that i can replace on the smart board like a fuse or diode or something?

There should be a fuse. It may not look like a fuse though. Strip it down carefully and take some close clear pics. Does it still charge? Probably not but try it and post up with the pics and I may be able to guide you through a repair. Or send just the board to me if you are in uk and if it is repairable I will do it au gratis.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: TrwilsonP3A
Under warranty?? Send it back and just say its no longer charging.

When connected to charger the lights all light up once then goes black I can turn the battery on and its 3/4 I didn't test the contacts I put wires in the battery socket to connect to a light I discharged one battery this way I accidently shorted the wires together on 2nd battery and it turned off instantly... now when i turn it on the lights still come on but no voltage comes out nor will power the phantom... when i connect the charger the lights all light up once in sequence then go off black.... seems like the smart board isnt dead just a fuse or diode. thank you so much for the offer peefa... im pretty good at soldering components i havent taken it apart to look yet... any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

battery open... tested leads from cells reads at over 15 volts... so battery is still good... going to try to find a fuse on the board... if anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated

I'm not sure about DJI intelligent batteries but normally varistors are used to limit short circuit currents and they get reset after they cool down. If they get burned due to excessive currents ( when there are no inductive elements in the short circuit path) they need to be replaced. Your case is a direct short circuit at the battery terminals and chances are high the protective circuit got burned out.

if it cant be fixed / repaired anyone have a old battery with good smart board they'd be willing to sell?

ugh... upon further inspection there are multiple fried components.... only hope for me is a new smart battery board... this battery is like new i guess i can put it up and wait for one of my other batteries to go bad to get a smart battery board from it.... anyone feeling kind and want to sell me a battery board id be so grateful !

You might be able to replace the board and make it work but I think if it were me, I'd chalk it up to a $120 lesson and retire that battery. There's no guarantee you didn't do damage to one or more cells and that's a critical component.

Mike

yes you are right but it would be pretty easy to find out if the battery was ok or not... it didnt get hot or anything... id just fly it low and close first couple of flights. plus you can see cell health in battery reports after a few filghts. i seriously doubt the cells are damaged it wasnt even hot after it happenned likely just fried the components on the battery board... caution first i agree but the battery has 7 charges on it. if i could get another battery board id love to try it... id pay for one.

bah... thanks a lot guys such helpful info and insight... wtf is going on on this forum? no one has technical knowledge of the intelligent battery board or has one to sell? really? ffs?!?!?! i even posted a pic with the component circled and no one even helped identify it... now i know board is screwed up and need a new one but that is beside the point never have I been on such a low information user board.

Given your apparent experience, you've been given the best advice... scrap it and move on.

But you refute that so what are we supposed to do?

I did the same thing with a modded battery. Plugged in external pack and had wrong polarity. That's what happens when I am up late. I don't know what component that is and I'm not sure if anyone has repaired components on the DJI board. Contact Will at Horizon antennas. I believe he sells boards.

thanks so much guys! sorry for being a **** earlier just frustrated its cool to see there is a spot to buy battery boards shipping makes it cost around 60 bucks... better than buying new battery and I really just want to fix this battery the cells seem fine... charge on my battery is at around 85 percent should i discharge it more or just wait for smart battery board?

Last edited:
I wouldn't even try to charge it until the board is replaced. You don't really have anything to gain and can't rely on any information provided by the bad board.

wow horizon fpv is great. i emailed them and they are going to ship it via post office instead of DHL so the price will be much cheaper than 60 bucks.... more like 40-45ish. thanks again for the suggestions... its tempting to do the battery mod on this and put pigtails on for externals since its already open.... hmmm

I wouldn't even try to charge it until the board is replaced. You don't really have anything to gain and can't rely on any information provided by the bad board.
good point... battery is around 80-85 percent i wasnt going to charge it was just gonna discharge it more... will sitting at 85 percent for a few weeks hurt it? waiting for a board from uk likely will take that long.... i may just hook up a pc cpu fan to it like a half amp one and let it run a few hours just to be safe.. battery is like new 7 charges.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub