Battery Meltdown

Reaction score
20180313_101244x.jpg
I've been flying my Phantom 4 Pro since 9/25/17, over 130 flights, no problems. This morning after flight I went to change the battery and could not get it out. I was afraid to pry it out and damage the shell. DJI online support suggested "with force" so I got forceful and was able to get it out. Inspection of the battery for swelling or structural damage revealed a melted contact. DJI support said that they would replace the battery. I asked if there was some underlying problem that caused this? They said no, just the battery. Has anyone had this issue and if so is there something else going on?

View attachment 96280 I've been flying my Phantom 4 Pro since 9/25/17, over 130 flights, no problems. This morning after flight I went to change the battery and could not get it out. I was afraid to pry it out and damage the shell. DJI online support suggested "with force" so I got forceful and was able to get it out. Inspection of the battery for swelling or structural damage revealed a melted contact. DJI support said that they would replace the battery. I asked if there was some underlying problem that caused this? They said no, just the battery. Has anyone had this issue and if so is there something else going on?
Yikes! That could have been way worse I am imagining! And yes there are many conversations bat batteries swelling and all that! At least you did not have that battery fell and have your connector melt or anything like that! I believe DJI needs to look at this battery issue a lot more there have been several posts about this!

I've seen a couple other posts recently that talked about the same problem you had (battery swelled, hard to remove, melted contact). It seems to be isolated incidents, but I believe it was P4 batteries.

I've seen a similar battery meltdown discussed on P4P using the 5870mah battery. Is this one you're showing the same 5870mah battery, or the stock P4 5350mah battery?

I think I'm going to start feeling this connector when I pull it out right after a flight. It may give a clue if a contact is getting weak, which creates more heat.

Can you estimate the ambient temperature you were flying in when this melted connector happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: flying kiwi
One of mine is very hard to remove. I have to squeeze so hard and it takes a few tries. I have since marked it with a marker to keep track, but when im out and need 2 batteries right now i have to use it sometimes.

Looks like brand new, nothing odd about it, no swelling but something must make it stick in there.

It was the 5870. I was flying from 3130' and 65 degrees F. I was down to 25% battery and it was a normal flight. I'm just wondering if this had happened earlier in the flight and affected a critical contact it may have fallen from the sky. That might be the answer instead of the battery sliding out for pilots who think that is what happened to them. Just another thing to inspect on a regular basis.

Reactions: John1960

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl