Battery Low Warning (Again)

Reaction score
I have 3 Phantom Batteries, and they all do this (one is just 2 days old). I charge them on a stock DJI charger. After a full charge a standard volt meter shows 12.5v, and the calibrated NAZA-M V2 shows 12.5v in the Advanced > Voltage tab (X3).

I’ve tried numerous variations on the 1st & 2nd level protections with the current settings at...
1st Level - No Load=11.55 Loss=0.50 Loaded=11.05
2nd level - No Load=11.00 Loss=0.50 Loaded=10.50

But I still get maybe 2 minutes of low level, low load, flight before level 1 warning comes on steadily. I’ve had the 1st level settings as low as 10v, but still get warnings 2 minutes into the flight. This happens with or without the camera mounted on the quad.

Bringing the quad back to the NAZA-M it shows a voltage of 12.2v, and the same on my standard volt meter. Way above the warning settings.

If I continue flying, maybe after another 2 or 3 minutes the quad goes to level 2 protection and comes down rather fast.

If I fly with the Protection off, I easily get 10 minutes of flight before I get worried about damaging something and so I land it.

The strange thing is, every once in a great while I will get 6 or 8 minutes w/o a warning.

This happens both in GPS & ATTI mode.
Any thoughts?

How heavy is your Phantom? (and what props are you using?)

sounds like your Loss might be significantly higher than .5, causing the failsafe's to kick in.
and when you fly for 10 minutes (which might really be pushing it),. how do the batteries fare? do you have a battery checker?

I've experienced random results as well white trying out failsafe levels.
when I had loser pitch props on my heavy phantom it seemed like it would drop as soon as it hit failsafe as well.
now that I'm trying out the 9" props, it seems capable of hovering indefinitely!@#

With the stock props, battery, and no camera the quad weighs 1lb 13oz. I have some 9" CF props, but I still get the same results. And, it seems to do the same with or without the camera attached.

I've also done the IMU calibration and compass calibration several times. The quad flys ok, just not for more than 2 minutes w/o the warning light going to steady blink.

The quad is 6 months old, and flew well at first, but now I don't trust it over water, or at high altitude. I almost think this behavior happened rather quickly.

Oh, and the battery seemed to fare well with a 10 minute flight, but I've only tried that a couple of times.

With the props removed it ran (on a table) at 1/3 throttle for close to 10 minutes with only an occasional Low Warning blink. I shut her down with all green lights (bored).

One distributor told me that DJI was having problems with its chargers. He said he was shipping a lot back. I suspect that's your problem. You have a bum charger. I had one, and returned it.

Byron Christopher said:
One distributor told me that DJI was having problems with its chargers. He said he was shipping a lot back. I suspect that's your problem. You have a bum charger. I had one, and returned it.

That's what I would have suspected as well, but the OP mentioned how it's still saying 12.2v on a voltmeter and in the NAZA.
..which really makes it odd.

Another small tidbit here, after a medium flight, with warning lights in full flash, when I land, I find that the power connector is hot. It's been hot enough to impact the heat shrink tubing on the battery. It's not too hot to touch, but close.

Has anyone else experienced that?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers