Battery light is red when turning off battery

Reaction score
I have 7 batteries and for as long as I've had my Phantom, turning them off has been pretty straightforward... you press the button once, then press and hold it for a few seconds and it turns off.

However now on 3 of the batteries, instead of turning off the battery remains on and the indicator light on the battery is solid red. I can then press the button again and it turns off, but I find this odd.

Without going full diagnostic on it, is something wrong with the battery? Are they repairable or should they be trashed? I know at least one of the batteries has been involved in a minor crash and thought that could be the source of it, but did not know exactly what the red light means and if I should continue flying with those batteries.

Thanks.

You may need to perform a deep discharge.

Something like that. Drain battery down to about 8-10% (in low hover will be quickest). Do not go to 0 as you will likely toast the batt. THEN do a full charge.

Turning off: Sounds like your first (quick) press is too short. That would cause your batt. to remain on.

Isn't there some kind of hibernation mode on those P3 batteries? You might want to check that out.

From P3A user manual v1.6 (they should all be same for batterys)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 21
How to discharge your Intelligent Flight Battery:

Slow : Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Phantom 3 Advanced’s Battery Compartment
and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no
longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.

Rapid : Fly the Phantom 3 Advanced outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until
the battery can no longer be turned on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hover mine down to 15 -20%
Bring in. Remove battery and let everything cool for 1/2 hour.
Then take props off. Put on table and leave on until I see 7%.
The next time I might try leaving until it shuts off.

I believe a slower drop will produce a more uniform voltage across the cells.

Some people suggest leaving a fan blowing at the bird for cooling.

From P3A user manual v1.6 (they should all be same for batterys)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 21
How to discharge your Intelligent Flight Battery:

Slow : Place the Intelligent Flight Battery into the Phantom 3 Advanced’s Battery Compartment
and turn it on. Leave it on until there is less than 8% of power left, or until the battery can no
longer be turned on. Launch the DJI GO app to check battery levels.

Rapid : Fly the Phantom 3 Advanced outdoors until there is less than 8% of power left, or until
the battery can no longer be turned on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hover mine down to 15 -20%
Then take props off. Put on table and leave on until I see 7%.
The next time I might try leaving until it shuts off.

I believe a slower drop will produce a more uniform voltage across the cells.

Some people suggest leaving a fan blowing at the bird for cooling.
Interesting. You say "
Then take props off. Put on table and leave on until I see 7%."
Do I take it you run the motors without the props? If so I presume there's no ill effects of doing that, as it seems like a good idea!?

Interesting. You say "
Do I take it you run the motors without the props? If so I presume there's no ill effects of doing that, as it seems like a good idea!?

I just did it. Hovered and landed at 11%
Brought in house, took props off. Took battery out to cool for 15 minutes.
Put back in and start p3 and just left alone until 6% as showing on tablet.
All cells were at 3.66v showing green.

Took battery out and put on charger.

I believe lowering the voltage at the end more slowly may be better for the battery.
All cells come down nice and even.

I will not run the motors without props. (without load and air flow)
It may not hurt to do it. But it sure doesn't hurt not to do it.

Interesting. You say "
You should not run the motors at full speed without the props on. The DJI GO app if turned on will quickly give a Message saying the motors are run above normal operation. They might overheat.

Something like that. Drain battery down to about 8-10% (in low hover will be quickest). Do not go to 0 as you will likely toast the batt. THEN do a full charge.

Turning off: Sounds like your first (quick) press is too short. That would cause your batt. to remain on.
If you discharge the battery by hovering, disable RTH! I did this once, *thought* I had RTH disabled and my Phantom P3A entered RTH, flew up and hit a tree limb...Destroying my camera!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20