Battery life

Reaction score
Does anyone know when to stop using the Phantom battery? What is the parameter to know if the cells no longer hold enough charge or are worn out or stuffed?

Unless you see drastic changes in flight times, or if you see any swelling, or if the the battery levels within the DJI Go app are no longer level then you should be good. Do you know how many charging cycles are currently on there? I've read they can be good for about 300 to 500 cycles but it really depends on how it's been cared for.

A detailed overview into the battery condition you can get at 'UAV Airdata' application, and about all other flight parameters as well.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when to stop using the Phantom battery? What is the parameter to know if the cells no longer hold enough charge or are worn out or stuffed?
Had an interesting and relevant experience with one of my P4P batteries. Five minutes into a routine flight I got a warning that one of the cells in my battery was failing and I should RTH immediately. Did so and later called a Toronto drone repair shop to see if they could replace a cell. Technician said they do not work on batteries but suggested I recharge it, grab a beer and sit in my yard, hovering it just off the ground until it ran the battery down. Added that I should do it two or three times. Did so and this fix worked. A dozen flights later still performing like new with standard flight times.

Reactions: SelfBiased
Had an interesting and relevant experience with one of my P4P batteries. Five minutes into a routine flight I got a warning that one of the cells in my battery was failing and I should RTH immediately. Did so and later called a Toronto drone repair shop to see if they could replace a cell. Technician said they do not work on batteries but suggested I recharge it, grab a beer and sit in my yard, hovering it just off the ground until it ran the battery down. Added that I should do it two or three times. Did so and this fix worked. A dozen flights later still performing like new with standard flight times.
I think of this "fix" like I would if I tried to start my car and the battery was dead. Put a charger on it and off you go. Assume your wife were pregnant. Would you trust your car to start at that critical time you know is coming? Now assume your P4P is in the air, maybe over water. Would you trust that gimpy battery to get ya back? Your "fix" is fine in a RC race car but, to save a lousy $100 on a battery that's already failed you once in your expensive drone, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Reactions: Bill32174
Yes, this batteries need to be working hard if I can say so. It is recommended that from time to time should be drained down to less than 20% and then charged up to full. Particular if you do not fly very often.

I think of this "fix" like I would if I tried to start my car and the battery was dead. Put a charger on it and off you go. Assume your wife were pregnant. Would you trust your car to start at that critical time you know is coming? Now assume your P4P is in the air, maybe over water. Would you trust that gimpy battery to get ya back? Your "fix" is fine in a RC race car but, to save a lousy $100 on a battery that's already failed you once in your expensive drone, doesn't seem worth it to me.
Well, I thing that at the car battery things are much different. When you start the engine it will be constantly charging during the drive unless the battery is completely out. But you had not even start the car engine in such case.

Well, I thing that at the car battery things are much different. When you start the engine it will be constantly charging during the drive unless the battery is completely out. But you had not even start the car engine in such case.
Actually the point was, does anyone really want to trust their drone battery when it's already proven to be flaky. Sure you can charge and recharge over and over and you might get your battery to act normal but for how long? I had this exact thing happen on my first drone. Reported a bad cell. Got it working and seemed okay until the battery completely failed 10 minutes into a flight over a deep lake. The drone is still at the 75 foot bottom.

Yes, that's sad. Sorry for that happened. I think that people who fly drones should more frequently check the condition of their batteries not only just by looking at the flight time and percentage of battery left.
I do that by the Air data which gives you much more deep view of what is happening with the battery. And if I know which battery is not completely perfect in terms of minimal differences between cells, I fly with it more carefully.

Reactions: Bone4Drone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20