Battery life vs. Battery level

Reaction score
Mates!

Good day!

I was hoping someone could clarify the difference between Battery life and Battery level as mentioned in the User Manual for the Phantom 2.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Usually "battery life" refers to the length of time (sometimes measured in number of charge/discharge cycles) that a lipo battery can hold a sufficient % of its design charge to still be useful. With time and use lipos do deteriorate and will not be able to hold the max designed amount of juice. For example, the DJI smart battery is expected to last at least 300 charge/discharge cycles before it won't hold sufficient charge to be useful.

Battery level (expressed as a % or as a voltage or as number of milliamps) is how much charge a battery currently holds. Example, to store lipos for longer than a few days you should discharge them down to a storage charge level. This is typically 40-50% of the maximum capacity.

The P2 smart battery LED "power meter" on the back shows the battery level as a % of fully charged, the decode for which is in the manual (e.g. 2 solid green, one blinking green means "50 to 62.5% of max charge remaining").

I guess time will tell how meaningful it really is.

I have always though I took above average care of my 3S-2700's in my CP heli days. I only flew light sport/scale 'style' and I never got 300 cycles out of any of them. Usually less that 125.

(However I never drained them to 8% every 2 dozen flights or so either).

Thanks for the info guys....it was exactly what I wanted to know.

Anyone else out there have any "numbers" as to how long the Phantom 2 batteries last?

Be Well!

Cheers!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1