Battery life percentage

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, and I've found "sort of" answers, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.
I uploaded my first flight logs ever to healthy drones. I've been flying a while, and phantoms for well over a year, just never needed to use HD. I looked at the cool features, and saw the battery stuff. I noticed what I thought was my battery that came with my P3 advanced (it wasn't, it was the one that came with my standard), showing 98% life remaing. It only hado 10 total recharges! So naturally I obsessed and popped it into the bird, fired up the good app, and yup, 98% (using 2.8 on androi7, just fyi)

I tried to deep cycle it, then charge, then flet it, then charged again... well, today, after charge cycle 12, I'm now at 97%.

Is this a bad battery? Is this just normal behavior? Cell variation is negligible, they're typical all the same except for when it dischargestarts and changes one at a time e, then they all lign up again.

Should I be extra cautious with this battery? My phantom 4 batteries are at 8 - 11 cycles (depending on which one) and they're 100% still....

Any advice or better understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Well, I think I answered my own question. It appears to be how it's calculated. It doesn't matter i guess how you treat your batteries (I'm extremely **** about discharge %, heat, rotation etc), but after xx amount of charges it'll dwindle the life % by xx..... I'm probably worrying for nothing, right?

Yes. It is an arithmatic calc not effected by battery capacity. It uses a set max no of charges for 100% compared to ur no charges nothing more.

Reactions: arcaine25
Well, I think I answered my own question. It appears to be how it's calculated. It doesn't matter i guess how you treat your batteries (I'm extremely **** about discharge %, heat, rotation etc), but after xx amount of charges it'll dwindle the life % by xx..... I'm probably worrying for nothing, right?
I dunno man .. I've charged one of my batteries 62 times, it still shows 100% health on the battery. I haven't ever done anything special to it, I just charge it when its less than 100% and use it every few days. I've never cycled it, stored it or really done anything. They say for the first 10 flights to power to only 50-60% then recharge, MEHHH .. i took that sucker down till it was low, recharged it. I even charge my batteries when they are warm still post flight. Not bragging, but saying I'm pretty hard on them and if anyone should have <100% life, its me .. but after 62 charges, still 100% health. Here's a HD from 2 days ago showing this battery health and 62 charges: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I dunno man .. I've charged one of my batteries 62 times, it still shows 100% health on the battery. I haven't ever done anything special to it, I just charge it when its less than 100% and use it every few days. I've never cycled it, stored it or really done anything. They say for the first 10 flights to power to only 50-60% then recharge, MEHHH .. i took that sucker down till it was low, recharged it. I even charge my batteries when they are warm still post flight. Not bragging, but saying I'm pretty hard on them and if anyone should have <100% life, its me .. but after 62 charges, still 100% health. Here's a HD from 2 days ago showing this battery health and 62 charges: HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I wonder if being an inspire is the difference in yours?

I wonder if being an inspire is the difference in yours?
It's actually a phantom 3 pro. After Dji returned it from being fixed, the name is jacked up and there is no way to change the name.

edit: i checked another battery (which i crashed and killed) and 19 charges it says 100% battery life. You say that its a year old, how are you storing the battery when not using?

Last edited:

can you fly p4 using rechargeable AAz ? with DIY setup

It's actually a phantom 3 pro. After Dji returned it from being fixed, the name is jacked up and there is no way to change the name.

edit: i checked another battery (which i crashed and killed) and charges it says 100% battery life. You say that its a year old, how are you storing the battery when not using?

Storage is in the 35 - 40% range. Have done 1 deep cycle, that was the other day after noticing the lower % life. The other battery is 3 months old, 10 charges, now 98% life. It's the algorithm apparently. Most people seem to be experiencing it, weird you're not.

Should also note that the batteries didn't hit 98% life until 10 charges, and both with 10 charges are at 98%, one being from August last year, the other is the one no more than 3 months old. Which is never over discharged, or stored full

No, you cannot. DJI locked out 3rd party batteries in the firmware a few updates ago, so we have to use the DJI brand ones.
thats soo SHYT, but then i guess its Apple we talking bout here, another trick to make money i suppose... (thats why nevr bothered with Iphones everrr.. ) + awkward and pricey

I've searched and searched, and I've found "sort of" answers, but I figured I'd ask to be sure.
I uploaded my first flight logs ever to healthy drones. I've been flying a while, and phantoms for well over a year, just never needed to use HD. I looked at the cool features, and saw the battery stuff. I noticed what I thought was my battery that came with my P3 advanced (it wasn't, it was the one that came with my standard), showing 98% life remaing. It only hado 10 total recharges! So naturally I obsessed and popped it into the bird, fired up the good app, and yup, 98% (using 2.8 on androi7, just fyi)

I tried to deep cycle it, then charge, then flet it, then charged again... well, today, after charge cycle 12, I'm now at 97%.

Is this a bad battery? Is this just normal behavior? Cell variation is negligible, they're typical all the same except for when it dischargestarts and changes one at a time e, then they all lign up again.

Should I be extra cautious with this battery? My phantom 4 batteries are at 8 - 11 cycles (depending on which one) and they're 100% still....

Any advice or better understanding would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

same with mine.... and there are numbers as yours preciselly...
i still remember last week i had 10 cycles and showing 100% life.
but today 12 cycles and 97% life.
why i didn't see 99% or 98% life when 11 cycles ???
i had my P3a for 4 weeks replacing the old P3s.

Screenshot_2016-12-11-18-06-33.png

same with mine.... and there are numbers as yours preciselly...
i still remember last week i had 10 cycles and showing 100% life.
but today 12 cycles and 97% life.
why i didn't see 99% or 98% life when 11 cycles ???
i had my P3a for 4 weeks replacing the old P3s.

View attachment 70570

I learned it's normal. the batteries are based on a number of cycles. They are set cycles (according to my research). These set cycles take away from the % as the number of charges goes up. It kind of reminds me of the limit HP used to put on their ink cartridges before getting sued and they had to remove it. They would make an ink cartridge that after being installed would last XX amount of time before basically "shutting off" and not printing anymore. Someone who hardly printed, and had installed a large size cartridge had this happen to them, and they said that isn't right. They opened the cartridge and sure enough, still full and not dry like we all used to think. They diagnose the chip and discovered HP's methods to make more money, and got sued and lost.
Same concept here, but not exactly the same if that makes sense. The number of cycles is limited to XX, but I don' t know if that is 200 or what, but no one has reported, at least as far as I know, what happens after 0%. I know some people were working or testing it, but I gave up chasing the answer down long ago once I figured out it was normal.

I learned it's normal. the batteries are based on a number of cycles. They are set cycles (according to my research). These set cycles take away from the % as the number of charges goes up. It kind of reminds me of the limit HP used to put on their ink cartridges before getting sued and they had to remove it. They would make an ink cartridge that after being installed would last XX amount of time before basically "shutting off" and not printing anymore. Someone who hardly printed, and had installed a large size cartridge had this happen to them, and they said that isn't right. They opened the cartridge and sure enough, still full and not dry like we all used to think. They diagnose the chip and discovered HP's methods to make more money, and got sued and lost.
Same concept here, but not exactly the same if that makes sense. The number of cycles is limited to XX, but I don' t know if that is 200 or what, but no one has reported, at least as far as I know, what happens after 0%. I know some people were working or testing it, but I gave up chasing the answer down long ago once I figured out it was normal.

So, we're assuming there are 2 opinions regarding this "battery life" reading...
1st, that is some kind of marketing puspose which might be assumed as a sugestion for preparing new purchase.
2nd, that is really some numbers which saying how much your battery is holding the current at full charge compared to the designated mAh. i realized as my screenshot above, the total capacity showing 4369mAh, that means 97% compared to the designated 4480mAh. So, actually it will getting lower and lower during usage time and cycles, exactly as i used to measure laptop's battery's wear level.

on the other hand, i've read DJI's person's statement regarding the removal of "battery life" info on the iOS APP, the reason is because it might lead to missunderstanding of remaining battery life to the point where it will be totally unusable. And that can cause some worries during flight.

736c095f2a8a6f46c417e4be91cdce4f.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj